Christmas Countdown 9.0

Another Gingerbread House submission. I walk past this house every day. It’s nice to see these historical homes being restored. We had another house jacked up on on stilts 18 months ago while the foundation was repaired. ~Vic

If you’d like to vote:
Homes for the Holidays 2020

House On Sticks Gingerbread House Image One
Adult Category
12-09-2020
Click for a larger view.
Girl Holds Up House Image Two
Girl holds up the house.
Trick the Eye
Work Progresses Image Five
Initial work begins.
07-21-2020
Click for a larger view.
Up On The Stilts Image Six
Just starting the frame
for the concrete basement/garage.
12-08-2020
Click for a larger view.

Christmas Countdown 8.0

18 thoughts on “Christmas Countdown 9.0

bayphotosbydonna said:
    December 18, 2020 at 9:24 AM

Amazing how they can lift a house like this, especially an old house. Just incredible!

December 18, 2020 at 2:44 PM

When I saw the other house way up in the air, I was amazed. I’m also amazed at those folks that make a living moving intact houses from one place to the other, navigating power lines, bridges, weather, narrow roads & traffic.

Charles Huss said:
    December 18, 2020 at 9:43 AM

That last one looks very precarious.

December 18, 2020 at 2:45 PM

It does! I have no desire to walk underneath.

December 18, 2020 at 11:03 AM

It’s so nice people are saving these homes instead of tearing them down.

December 18, 2020 at 3:17 PM

I agree. In a town like this, with all of its history, there is money coming from somewhere to assist. The Colonial Inn has re-opened for the first time in over 20 years.

December 18, 2020 at 5:02 PM

We are seeing lots and lots of people moving here. I helped a lady get into town yesterday, from Florida. She just moved out here by us and was lost.

badfinger20 (Max) said:
    December 19, 2020 at 10:37 AM

Is the city restoring the houses or private residents? That is awesome.

December 19, 2020 at 1:48 PM

That is a very good question. And, I have no idea. It’s possible that it is a joint venture. A large group of the homes in this town are on the National Register. There could be some outside financial assistance. The other side is, many who move here are rich folks with money. A house diagonal from us, on the river side, was listed for sale three years ago at 1.5 million. It sat for a while and finally sold for $625,000. A couple that are tied to Duke Hospital moved in with three kids. Interracial couple. When I was working for the handyman guy, he did some work for them. They had more money than sense. They wanted things that didn’t pair well with the structure of their old house and remodeling historic homes comes with problems…integrity of frame AND historical issues. John struggled to get them to understand. To be so educated, they were extremely ignorant.

badfinger20 (Max) said:
        December 19, 2020 at 1:56 PM

I couldn’t live in a place where you can’t have a pink flamingo…not that I want one…but I would not like it…BUT
        Historical is a different story….yes you have to keep it right period or you lose that feel…so I totally get that.

December 19, 2020 at 2:06 PM

As many artists as there are around here, a pink flamingo in the yard would be welcomed here. It’s an historical town but, eclectic as well.

badfinger20 (Max) said:
            December 19, 2020 at 2:08 PM

That is cool. You know the places I’m talking about.

December 19, 2020 at 2:16 PM

Oh, yeah. The HOA Nazis. There are some historical Nazis here but, it is house & tree related. They don’t mind decorations nor do they seem to have a problem if you don’t mow much. There are a lot of gardeners and folks like to let nature grow. Hell, I’d rather see wild violets & dandelions than a manicured lawn with chemicals.

badfinger20 (Max) said:
                December 19, 2020 at 7:19 PM

Yea me also…I understand if you put a pig farm in the front yard but some of those restrictions…I would do it just to piss them off.

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: