Hans 2021 Movie Draft: Round Two-Pick Three-Grease 1978

Grease IMDb Amazon Image
Image Credit: IMDb & Amazon

Hanspostcard has a movie draft challenge. This is my Round Two pick.

Category: Music/Musical
Film: Grease

I don’t think I need to provide a trailer or to hack out a plot or synopsis on this one but, you might find the trivia interesting. I did my own post back in 2018.

I was 11 years old when it was released. I was such an Olivia Newton-John fan. I begged my mom to buy me the album soundtrack. I nearly wore it out. I still have it to this day. And, I remember those shoes. I was headed to seventh grade that year and ALL the girls had to have a pair of the Candies that Sandy made famous. Can you imagine a bunch of ‘tween girls in the late 70s trying to change classes, going up and down stairs in Sandy’s Candies? Oh, my… ~Vic

Released June 16, 1978 (NYC premiere was June 13), it was based on the 1971 musical created by Jim Jacobs and Warren Casey. Bronte Woodard crafted the screenplay and Randal Kleiser directed. Produced by Robert Stigwood and Allan Carr, it starred John Travolta, Olivia Newton-John, Stockard Channing, Jeff Conaway, Barry Pearl, Michael Tucci, Kelly Ward, Didi Conn, Jamie Donnelly, Dinah Manoff, Eve Arden, Frankie Avalon, Joan Blondell, Edd Byrnes, Sid Caesar, Alice Ghostley, Dody Goodman, Sha-Na-Na, Susan Buckner, Lorenzo Lamas, Fannie Flagg, Dick Patterson, Eddie Deezen, Darrell Zwerling, Ellen Travolta, Annette Charles and Dennis Stewart.

Filming Locations:
[1] The opening beach scene was shot at Malibu’s Leo Carrillo State Beach, making explicit reference to From Here to Eternity.
[2] The exterior shots of Rydell High, the Summer Nights musical number and the athletic scenes were shot at Venice High School in Los Angeles, CA.
[3] Look At Me, I’m Sandra Dee & Hopelessly Devoted to You, sung at the slumber party, were performed at a private home in East Hollywood.
[4] The drive-in movie scene and the musical number Sandy were shot & performed at Pickwick Drive-In in Burbank, CA (torn down in 1989).
[5] The Frosty Palace (exterior shot), Greased Lightnin’ and Beauty School Dropout were performed at Paramount Studios.
[6] Rydell interior shots and the dance in the gym were filmed at Huntington Park High School in Los Angeles, CA.
[7] The race was filmed at the Los Angeles River‘s dry riverbed, starting at the 6th Street bridge and u-turning after passing the 1st Street bridge.
[8] The carnival scenes, You’re the One That I Want and We Go Together were shot & performed at John Marshall High School in Los Angeles, CA.

Grease IMDb Amazon Image Two
Photo Credit: IMDb & Amazon

Trivia Bits:
♦ Rizzo’s hickeys were real. Stockard Channing said in an interview that Jeff Conaway insisted on applying them himself.
Hopelessly Devoted to You was written and recorded after the movie had wrapped.
Elvis Presley turned down the role of The Guardian Angel in the Beauty School Drop-Out scene.
♦ Due to a zipper breaking, Olivia Newton-John had to be sewn into the trousers she wears in the last sequence (the carnival at Rydell).
♦ Jeff Conaway was so infatuated with Olivia Newton-John, he was tongue-tied whenever she was around. He later married Olivia’s sister, Rona Newton-John.
♦ Danny’s blue windbreaker at the beginning of the film was intended as a nod to Rebel Without a Cause.
Jamie Donnelly had prematurely grey hair, which she dyed black to play Jan. Her hair grew really quickly, so her roots had to be colored in daily with a black crayon.
Rydell High is a reference to teen idol Bobby Rydell who had a million selling hit with Swingin’ School in 1960.
♦ The “blonde pineapple” line was improvised by Barry Pearl.
♦ Olivia Newton-John insisted on a screen test for the role of Sandy. She was concerned that she didn’t have the acting skills and would look too old to be a high school student. The part was originally meant for Susan Dey, who turned it down on her manager’s advice.

The soundtrack was certified 14x Platinum in Australia, Diamond in Canada and 8x Platinum in the UK & the US.

Awards & Nominations

21 thoughts on “Hans 2021 Movie Draft: Round Two-Pick Three-Grease 1978

joyroses13 said:
    January 20, 2021 at 3:10 PM

Hi Vic! Missed you. Hope all is well. I actually never saw Grease until I was in my 30’s. LOL!

January 20, 2021 at 3:27 PM

Hi, JoRo. I’ve been extraordinarily busy.

joyroses13 said:
        January 20, 2021 at 3:37 PM

Well here is to hoping that things calm down for you soon! Try to stay sane, if possible!

joyroses13 said:
        January 20, 2021 at 5:58 PM

I thought I had replied, but perhaps I forgot to push send! Glad to know you are OK and hopefully your busyness will soon slow down!

January 21, 2021 at 7:44 PM

You did. I moderate my comments. I had to dig yours out of SPAM. WP is hinky.

January 20, 2021 at 3:49 PM

I’ve not seen Grease….. does that make me a bad person.

January 20, 2021 at 3:54 PM

Not at all. Not everyone likes musicals.

bayphotosbydonna said:
    January 20, 2021 at 8:24 PM

I’m not a ‘musical movie’ person per se, but I did love this movie when it came out. I’m not sure how many times I’ve seen it since, but the last time was last year. 🙂

UK #1s blog said:
    January 20, 2021 at 10:40 PM

When I was off sick from school as a kid this was my go-to VHS. I don’t think there is a movie I can quote from more… ‘Tell me about it, stud…’ (And I love that the ‘good’ girl has to go ‘bad’ in the end…)

January 21, 2021 at 3:08 AM

Yeah. This movie is as captivating as The Wizard of Oz. It’s fun and engaging. Sometimes, magic is made on film.

“A hickey from Kenickie is like a Hallmark card!” LOL!

UK #1s blog said:
        January 21, 2021 at 3:18 AM

Haha 😆 ‘Where you going? To flog your log?’… ‘They’re amoebas on fleas on rats…’ too many to list…

badfinger20 (Max) said:
    January 20, 2021 at 10:47 PM

Thank you very much for sticking that damn song in my head…ALL DAY LONG

January 21, 2021 at 3:10 AM

Which one? There are so many… Hell, I’ve got Bowser stuck in my head…”Born to hand jive, baby…” LOL!

The Conductor said:
    January 25, 2021 at 2:03 PM

Need to see Grease, then possibly review it. I think I recall seeing it once before at a relative’s, though only briefly. But that “blonde pineapple” quip has convinced me to watch it as a whole. Dunno why.

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: