POTD: Silk Tree

Fabaceae family, Mimosoideae clade, Albizia genus and Julibrissin species. It is commonly referred to as a Mimosa tree but, that isn’t quite right. It’s also called a Persian silk tree, a pink silk tree and a pink siris. North Carolina State University considers it to be invasive. It’s still pretty and it smells so good. ~Vic

Pink Silk Tree Image
06-13-2020

16 thoughts on “POTD: Silk Tree

Charles Huss said:
    June 8, 2021 at 6:29 AM

That is pretty. Does it grow near your home?

June 8, 2021 at 1:34 PM

I photographed this in our local park that is about a half mile from the house. I walk there all the time.

Honestly, NCSU is right. They are invasive. They are all over town. I don’t happen to have one in my yard, here. I did have one in my yard in Round Rock, TX. They were all over that area, too. I think they were brought to the US in the 18th century? They are interesting trees despite being the tree equivalent of kudzu. In the evenings, they fold in their tiny leaves. If you touch the leaves, esp. around dusk, they move to your touch…at least the ones in TX did. I haven’t tried playing with the ones in Gold Park at dusk, yet. 🤔

Charles Huss said:
        June 8, 2021 at 6:13 PM

They are invasive but do they hurt anything? I am reminded of a tree they brought into the everglades that was designed to absorb the water so they could build on the wetlands. That was before they knew how important the wetlands are. Now the trees are a real problem because they are hard to kill and if you burn them they just spread seeds everywhere.

June 9, 2021 at 3:53 AM

I’m not sure. Usually, when a plant is tagged as “invasive”, that means they proliferate and cause problems with native plants. Kudzu is a perfect example. It was brought here (to the US) to help stop soil erosion but, it turned out to grow all over everything, choking other species. The good news is, goats love to eat it. If NCSU tagged the trees, there must have been issues.

Yikes on the trees in the everglades. Bad idea… That reminds me of Asian Carp being turned loose in rivers and destroying native fish species.

Charles Huss said:
            June 9, 2021 at 6:42 PM

Whenever humans introduce a species to control something it always backfires.

June 8, 2021 at 3:03 PM

Love it! Nothing so beautiful here!

June 8, 2021 at 2:07 PM

Give it time. They’ll be there. I had one in my yard in TX. They were all over the place. Fast growers…

June 8, 2021 at 6:36 PM

Too dry and too cold here for them. 🙁

bayphotosbydonna said:
    June 9, 2021 at 10:03 AM

I have always loved seeing a mimosa in bloom, they are so pretty!

badfinger20 (Max) said:
    June 10, 2021 at 10:27 PM

I’ve seen these before…I do like them. They look a little like a Truffula tree!

June 10, 2021 at 10:43 PM

In a way, yes. So far, I haven’t seen any Lorax running around.

badfinger20 (Max) said:
        June 10, 2021 at 11:02 PM

If you do…you know he speaks for the trees.