Static Blog

For the near future, I won’t be posting, anymore. I upgraded to a “Pro” plan a few months back. That was a bad move. I was on “Premium” prior to that, knowing that WordPress would, eventually, corral everyone into the Gutenberg (block) editor…some kicking and screaming. I thought about coughing up more money for a “Business” plan but, never could come up with the funds. Premium is $99 a year, which translates to, roughly, $8 a month. When Pro showed up as an interim choice, I added the $80 upgrade to my Premium renewal and thought I would be good to go. I did get two very nice plug-ins…and everything else went to hell.

I have gone many, many rounds with the “happiness engineers” to no avail. One of their “explanations” for my site going nuts is that, Pro is on a different server and the “migration” didn’t work very well. Hm. Why didn’t you PHP geniuses figure that out before fucking up my site?

So, now, if I upload a video to my site, it will play in the phone app but, not the Reader (in a browser). If I embed my videos, they will play in the Reader but, not in the phone app…and they used to, even if off center from viewing.

Another piece of blowback on all of this is, my site, viewed in a browser on a phone, is whacked. It used to be a clean & polished looking mobile site. Not anymore. I was told by another loopy engineer that it was because my theme was “legacy” and it didn’t work well with AMP. My Premium account didn’t use AMP so, my site looked just fine. The suggestion was for me to find another theme. Um…why? I’ve had my theme for five years and I worked very hard to set it up the way I liked it. WordPress should step in and clean up THEIR mess, not require me…A PAYING CUSTOMER…to deal with their self-imposed shit.

My frustration level has been off the charts. During a recent chat with a WP genius, something really weird happened to my Reader in Brave. When the chat ended, I noticed that all the icons were gone. The Reader has icons next to words. They were all gone. When you looked for the “like” stars or the “comment” symbols, they were all gone. In their place were numbers, only. If there were no likes or comments, it was blank. I don’t know what the PHP genius did but, the Reader operates fine in Firefox. I was told to “clear my cache”, which I do everyday, to no avail.

This has ruined my desire to blog at all. My hell has been paid for, for the next year, so…here, it will sit. Unless something changes, I won’t renew, again. I read, recently, that Matt Mullenweg, Mr. WordPress, himself, isn’t hands on, anymore. Everything has been turned over to The WordPress Foundation. That is nearly as ominous-sounding as the World Economic Forum and we all know how well they fuck things up.

That being said, this site will not be shuttered. I maintain too much important information on my landing page:

Chris Thomas

I encourage everyone to read, watch & listen to everything I have posted on that page. I also own a documentary that is hidden because of copyright issues. If you would like to view it, send me an email.

I will be around… ~Vic

24 thoughts on “Static Blog

graham mcquade said:
    July 17, 2022 at 3:16 PM

Sorry to hear of your travails Vic. I had a few of my own on Instagram and know well your feelings.

July 17, 2022 at 6:18 PM

Yeah. I can’t even deal with Instagram. I left FB years ago and have never bothered with Twitter.

I will be around. I LOVE your paintings/pastels.

Kenneth T. said:
    July 17, 2022 at 5:05 PM

wordpress is slowly losing its appeal (for me).
    I have thought of going for a paid account a time or two, but then I read stories (like yours) wp doesn’t play nice – so I seldom play.

July 17, 2022 at 6:28 PM

My first WP blog was in 2009. This one is about nine years old. When WP decided to act like FB, it started going downhill. I remember the days before “likes” & “comments.” The only way you knew you had views was thru blog stats and emails.

They have too many moving parts, now.

Kenneth T. said:
        July 17, 2022 at 6:52 PM

“…act like FB”, yes, exactly!!!
        I used to “like” a lot – but seldom click it now. I “save” niw more than ever before, but I lost so much when I changed phones *things are saved locally you know*

“too many moving parts” – very true

July 17, 2022 at 7:08 PM

Cell phones are another bane of existence. I still have a landline and really miss the days of pay phones.

Kenneth T. said:
            July 17, 2022 at 7:29 PM

Cell phones ARE indeed a bane (although I still find them useful) I seldom talk on mine, I read a lot of kindle and play some music for the most part. I don’t do fb, tweet, tik tok, or instagram, and I have no games installed – so I can/will put the phone down to see if the house is burning down around me

Like you- I miss the days of pay phones

July 17, 2022 at 7:51 PM

I tried so hard to keep my very simple Samsung flip phone (look up an Alias II). I was angry that we were being pushed to the smart phones. I was happy enough to call & text a bit. If I needed a computer, I had one. Those flip phones lasted for years. Smart phones? Been thru four since 2015. I also miss my old Motorola Startac.

If they push the digital ID bullshit, my current stupidphone will become target practice.

Kenneth T. said:
                July 17, 2022 at 8:02 PM

My wife loves using her face- unlock feature on hers. I won’t set mine up (or even the fingerprint feature)
                I loved my Nokia and was sad to let it go.

July 17, 2022 at 8:48 PM

I have a PIN code & that is it.

doerfpub said:
    July 17, 2022 at 11:23 PM

I feel your pain Vic. I’ve had ongoing issues since my last firefox update – mainly a pain in the ass constant login whenever I make a comment on another wordpress site as if it isn’t storing my credentials . If it means anything, I enjoyed reading your posts. Best of luck.

July 17, 2022 at 11:57 PM

I am not surprised to hear of your issues.

Thank you, sweetie. I appreciate that greatly. ❤

Renard Moreau said:
    July 18, 2022 at 1:03 AM

🤔 Hmm. This means that upgrading one’s WordPress plan is not always better.

The funny thing is that I was considering the idea of upgrading to a domain and WordPress spoilt things by getting rid of the older packages (They refer to them as “Legacy plans”).

I am strongly convinced that WordPress does not truly care about personal bloggers.

I am sorry to learn that you would be making your site into a static one.

July 18, 2022 at 1:16 AM

No…they don’t care. If they had the smallest amount of respect, they would never have tried to shove everyone into that stupid block editor.

I suppose I could download WordPress.org & self host but, I am not in the mood for the hassle.

Thank you.

Renard Moreau said:
    July 18, 2022 at 1:25 AM

🙂 By the way, a friend of mine who is on the legacy WordPress Business Plan and plans to upgrade to the new WordPress Pro Plan told me that the Classic Editor plugin is available (He uses the Classic Editor plugin with his legacy WordPress Business Plan and has no intention of leaving the Classic Editor behind).

Hey, I would hate to see you go. So, I would like to suggest that you ask the Happiness Engineers about the Classic Editor plugin.

July 18, 2022 at 12:44 PM

I got the Classic Editor plug-in when I upgraded to Pro. That was one of the plug-ins I mentioned in my post. The other was an iFrame plug-in.

Warn your friend to hold onto his legacy Biz plan as long as he can. I would not suggest him going “Pro.” These people do not know what they are doing. It’s my understanding that all the legacy plans are being shuttered, one by one and the Pro upgrade is on another server. These people are breaking people’s sites because they can’t handle the server migrations. The parents have left the house and the children are playing with the electronics.

Sandra J said:
    July 18, 2022 at 7:22 AM

I hope I never have to rebuild another site, that was a huge learning curve back when I started mine. I don’t think I would want to do that again. They are always changing everything, thinking it will be better, without testing it before launching.

July 18, 2022 at 12:45 PM

Well said. It’s just like everything else in this world…they want to shove everyone somewhere they don’t want to go.

July 18, 2022 at 10:44 AM

I will miss you. Mom

July 18, 2022 at 12:46 PM

I will be around, Momma. 💜

Bay Photos By Donna said:
    July 18, 2022 at 5:23 PM

I feel for you, Vic. I upgraded this past February to Business to hopefully rid my blog issues, and I am still having them. I am also having issues with Firefox update, I see already when I go to enter this comment, it is asking for my WP credentials, which I will complete. When my blog renews, I am already considering quitting too. I don’t need the added blog stress in my life either.

July 18, 2022 at 6:36 PM

I’ve read several times of Firefox issues. Oddly enough, WP seems to work fine in my FF browser but, fouls up in Brave with me.

Interesting that you made it to Business. I understand that package is now considered “legacy”, just like my previous status of Premium. If you got that in Feb. and I renewed my Premium in May, that must mean they have shut off all the other legacy plans at the end of May. And, if your Business plan is having issues, they have a mess on their hands.

I just deleted my payment method. They won’t get the chance to automatically charge me, anymore.

I’m sorry. I know how you feel.

KenshoHomestead said:
    July 18, 2022 at 6:06 PM

Bummer. I recently renewed after much consideration. I will miss seeing you in my feed, there’s so few regular posters and yours are unique, which I appreciate so much. It seems to me ‘social’ media doesn’t really get how folks like their social—sure, a lot of folks like the “Time’s Square on New Year’s” sort of venue, but some of us are ‘Corner pub’ types, and just like in the real world, we get squeezed out for the big crowd lovers.

July 18, 2022 at 6:55 PM

I agree. I am definitely more the “corner pub” type. I have been to big venue rock concerts but, smaller concerts are better.

I appreciate the kudos. I’ve worked very hard to make this a good blog and WP continues to torture us.

I will be around.