Shutterbug Saturday: Land of Oz 4.0

More from my Land of Oz photo collection. Previous posts are here, here & here. It has been over a year since I posted any of these. More to come. ~Vic

Blue Ridge Mountain Shot Image One
The Blue Ridge Mountains
as seen from the Park.
Circa: Early 1970s
Image Credit: Emerald Mountain Realty
Entrance Fountain Image Two
Fountain at the Entrance to the Park.
Circa: Early 1970s
Image Credit: Emerald Mountain Realty
Bust of Dorothy Image Three
Dorothy & Toto Sculpture
It is my understanding that this bust
is missing…stolen like other artifacts.
Image Credit: Emerald Mountain Realty
Wizard Image Eight
You found the Wizard.
Circa: Middle 90s
Image Credit: Emerald Mountain Realty

19 thoughts on “Shutterbug Saturday: Land of Oz 4.0

December 17, 2022 at 7:37 PM

Definitely does look like a IT character. Wow. Blue Ridge Mountains was really well known when I was a child in Yorkshire. I think this is the first time I have actually seen them

December 17, 2022 at 8:33 PM

Hey, Gary! Good to hear from you. Wow. Our mountains were well known in Yorkshire. Well…there are a lot of UK descendants here.

There are a lot better pix than that one.

Badfinger (Max) said:
    December 18, 2022 at 1:08 PM

I have to wonder who has that statue…is there anything left now?

December 18, 2022 at 1:13 PM

There was a huge restoration project that started in 1994 by former employees. They started reunions and it grew from there. There was a fire in 1975, IIRC and much was lost from that. Random vandalism in the 80s messed up a lot. That is when the sculpture disappeared. Whatever asshole that took it is probably too scared to return it.

Badfinger (Max) said:
        December 18, 2022 at 1:13 PM

So is anything left original?

December 18, 2022 at 1:22 PM

The house. The yellow brick road. The witch’s castle. The tree faces. Tin Man’s house. The gates to the wizard. The covered bridge. The barn. The artwork lining the brick road. The museum of Oz stuff is gone. Some stuff survived via Appalachian State University. They returned everything.

There is an App State museum link.

Badfinger (Max) said:
            December 18, 2022 at 6:25 PM

Cool…I’ll take a look at this. I remember talking about this before but I love stuff like this.

December 18, 2022 at 1:30 PM

Dude…we should plan a meet up there next Fall.

Badfinger (Max) said:
                December 18, 2022 at 6:25 PM

I would love that! I will check into that. Is there a documentary about it? Bailey is always looking for something to make one about…this would be interesting.

December 18, 2022 at 10:39 PM

As far as I know, there is no documentary about it. It was saved in the 90s because Emerald Mountain Realty purchased the property. It has since been taken over by another group. I think I had an email exchange with someone that worked at the realty company and they lamented the fact that others had taken it over. The butt-load of pix I have, unless you know the exact URL links, you can’t find the list of pictures that the realty company has. There are two live pages but, the website has removed any visible links to them.

I went up there in 2017 and they were still working on streamlining things. Past that, the first time I was there, I was with my parents…either 1972 or 1973.

Things have improved quite a bit since 2017:

Badfinger (Max) said:
                    December 18, 2022 at 11:24 PM

I wouldn’t mind at all…I asked Jen and she would like to go

December 19, 2022 at 10:32 AM

We would have to coordinate ticket sales on a particular day…and time. In 2017, I got a ticket, boarded a bus and wandered about the place nearly all day. I think they have small groups and certain time frames, now. If you provide an email on the site, you will be notified when tickets are available. I’d love to go back to see how they have improved.

Didn’t I tell you that the Aunt Em in the house in 2017 had been the original Dorothy from the early 70s?

Badfinger (Max) said:
                      December 19, 2022 at 11:32 AM

Oh cool…we have to make this happen… it sounds really cool. I’m sure glad they put it back together.

December 19, 2022 at 7:37 PM

Me, too.

Badfinger (Max) said:
                      December 19, 2022 at 11:36 AM

Damn…I thought I replied to this! It does sound like a lot of fun… You know I love stuff like this. That is cool about Aunt Em…something left over.

December 19, 2022 at 7:38 PM

You did. I moderate, remember?

Badfinger (Max) said:
                      December 19, 2022 at 11:10 PM

Yea I forget that every single time! Long day at work today!

December 20, 2022 at 12:05 AM

More server migration?

Badfinger (Max) said:
                      December 20, 2022 at 9:43 AM

Part of it…taking out the last things remaining