POTD: Cypress

This is a Cypress of some sort but, it is definitely a Chamaecyparis. Pl@ntNet can’t really pinpoint the exact species. It seems to think it is a Lawsoniana. The picture on Wikipedia isn’t helpful, either. ~Vic

Cypress Image
02-13-2020
Click for a larger view.

16 thoughts on “POTD: Cypress

Badfinger (Max) said:
    December 15, 2022 at 8:22 PM

That is a Christmassy looking tree…I like it.

December 15, 2022 at 9:10 PM

It would make a nice Christmas tree but, it is big…and outdoors. It’s about four blocks away from the house.

Badfinger (Max) said:
        December 15, 2022 at 9:12 PM

They should light it up! The first three years after we moved into our A-Frame I went out and got 14 foot trees…you had to be in the loft to put the star on lol… I soon got tired of that.

December 15, 2022 at 9:51 PM

The tree is part of a huge property with a very old house on it. Dead end street that leads to the Eno River.

Here is the place:

Badfinger (Max) said:
            December 15, 2022 at 10:34 PM

Dang…that is historic…

December 16, 2022 at 1:12 AM

There is a lot of old history, here. This county & my home county, next door, was the hotbed of activity that was the precursor to the Revolutionary War. Past that, this town sits on an old Native American trading path. Many homes in the town are haunted.

Badfinger (Max) said:
                December 16, 2022 at 10:50 AM

Yea that old….there is a lot of history. Haunted houses are fun to read about

December 16, 2022 at 11:07 AM

Here is a good example. This house was originally on the other side of the river. It was moved a long time ago and is now at the end of the street that the other property is on…the link above…

Badfinger (Max) said:
                    December 16, 2022 at 6:39 PM

I would love to witness that myself one day. I’ve never really witnessed anything.

December 16, 2022 at 3:20 PM

Then, there is this…

I wrote to those folks to correct their opening statement. It used to say “just outside Hillsborough.” This house is most definitely within the town limits, small as those limits are. If it were still across the river…no. Go to Google maps (if you are even remotely interested) and look up Tuscarora Dr. That whole area was the Julian Carr Farm and the only thing left of it is the stone walls that lined the old entrance. I pass the entrance all the time on US70A. That area is not in Hillsborough proper, which is odd as hell.

December 16, 2022 at 11:37 AM

I’ll bet it smells wonderful!!!

December 16, 2022 at 12:04 PM

You know, I didn’t even sniff it. Ha!

doerfpub said:
    December 22, 2022 at 1:15 PM

Will have to punt on this one – when it comes to vegetation, I pretty much suck beyond the green things that inhabit our woods. My wife loves the Seek app when we are out in the field and she gets bored with my birding (which is like 1 minute into it).

December 22, 2022 at 9:50 PM

I will have to look up Seek. I use PlantNet. It is not always accurate.