TV Tuesday: Friday The 13th 1957

Friday The 13th Pinterest Image
Image Credit: Pinterest

Sixty-five years ago, today, the British comedy Friday the 13th aired on BBC1. There is very little information on this thirty minute broadcast. It’s simple storyline states:

Ted Ray presents a lighthearted look at superstitions.

Written by John Junkin and Terry Nation, produced by George Inns, the only cast listed is Ted Ray and June Whitfield. IMDb states that it was shown in black & white. The British Comedy Guide reflects “colour.” As best as I can tell, it aired at 7:30pm and it definitely was on a Friday the 13th.

I love British comedy. I wish I could find a YouTube clip or some still photographs. There is just nothing, other than a vague Internet memory of its existence. ~Vic

10 thoughts on “TV Tuesday: Friday The 13th 1957

Badfinger (Max) said:
    December 13, 2022 at 11:28 AM

I just searched it also…nothing…all you come up with is Jason lol.

December 13, 2022 at 12:11 PM

Pretty much…

theearthspins said:
      December 13, 2022 at 6:51 PM

I am guessing you would need to scroll to page 1032 of whatever search engine you are using.

December 13, 2022 at 2:02 PM

Or, dig on the Wayback Machine. IMDb gets data from somewhere. Pop culture is usually easier to retrieve on the Interwebs, than say jab truths or legit data on HCQ. Algorithm monsters don’t want informed people…just faithful sheep.

Badfinger (Max) said:
        December 13, 2022 at 2:31 PM

Yea…maybe a -jason would help.

graham mcquade said:
    December 14, 2022 at 2:19 PM

I’ve never heard of that one – then I was only 4 at the time and it definitely wasnt transmitted in colour – not in 1957 in the UK. I think the recording medium then was celluloid film stock – so it could have been shot in colour – much of which has decomposed in the archives. Not much is left and even with later programmes old episodes have only been recovered because they were held privately – sometimes by the actors themselves.

December 15, 2022 at 12:07 AM

That is what happened to the early Doctor Who. Much of the William Hartnell & Patrick Troughton films were destroyed. BBC just trashed a lot of stuff.

graham mcquade said:
        December 15, 2022 at 3:38 AM

I remember seeing the very first one, I seem to recall it was about cavemen, then came the daleks and later the cybermen. I recently saw a clip of the cybermen, but that film stock wasnt stable and these things didnt have much sentimental value at the time.

December 15, 2022 at 11:25 AM

That is awesome…being there for episode one in 1963. I wasn’t born until 1966 and I wasn’t introduced to DW until it was imported to the US in the 70s. My “first” doctor was Tom Baker. Spent years watching him on PBS. I saw quite a bit of Davison but, after that, I was busy growing up and DW didn’t have nearly the impact it had in the 70s. When it was revived in 2005, I was living in Texas and was glued to every episode. SciFi Channel picked them up. My next love, after Baker, was Eccleston. I wanted to cry when he didn’t come back.

It grew and had wonderful storylines. River Song became a favorite. Once they got to Capaldi, I grew tired of the WOKE propaganda and stopped watching. I watched ONE Jodie episode and was horrified.

BBC didn’t realize, at the time, what they had on their hands.

doerfpub said:
    December 22, 2022 at 1:12 PM

Definitely obscure, personally never heard of it, but a bit before I was rudely smacked by a so called doctor.