Wayback Wednesday: The Revenue Act of 1913

In 1913, The Revenue Act or the Underwood Act or the Underwood Tariff or the Underwood Tariff Act or the Underwood-Simmons Act or, simply, the Tariff Act (Federal Income Tax) was signed into law (re-imposed) by President Woodrow Wilson after the ratification of the Sixteenth Amendment. It was sponsored/introduced by House Majority Leader Oscar Underwood from Alabama.

The very first personal income tax was signed into law in 1861 by Abraham Lincoln as a way to fund the Civil War. It was largely ineffective and, was, originally, a flat rate tax before being repealed and replaced with the Revenue Act of 1862, converting the flat rate into a progressive rate. This act ended in 1866.

When the U.S. Supreme Court struck down the income tax provision of the Wilson-Gorman Tariff Act of 1894 via Pollock vs Farmers’ Loan & Trust in 1895, that opened the door for the Sixteenth Amendment 18 years later, affirming that “…the Constitution did not deny Congress the power to impose a tax on real and personal property“… Yay for us.

Thomas Kelley Unsplash Image
Photo by Thomas Kelley on Unsplash

Other things from October 3…

1922Rebecca Ann Latimer Felton of Georgia is the 1st woman in the U.S. Senate, if only for one day.

1929…The Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes changes its name to the Kingdom of Yugoslavia.

1945Elvis Presley has his first public appearance at the age of 10. He was dressed as a cowboy, stood on a chair and sang “Old Shep” at the Mississippi–Alabama Fair and Dairy Show.

1955Captain Kangaroo and The Mickey Mouse Club both premier on CBS and ABC, respectively.

1990…At midnight on this day, the flag of West Germany was raised over Brandenburg Gate, signifying the reunification of Germany.

11 thoughts on “Wayback Wednesday: The Revenue Act of 1913

the britchy one said:
    October 4, 2018 at 4:18 AM

What an interesting bunch of facts!

October 4, 2018 at 12:29 PM

I love, love, love history.

Regarding the 1913 Revenue Act & the XVI Amendment, there are some law scholars out there that claim that direct citizen taxation AND the amendment’s ratification are both illegal.

bottomlesscoffee007 said:
    October 4, 2018 at 6:54 AM

Awesome history lesson Victoria. I had no idea the great and “honest” Abe imposed the first income tax.

October 4, 2018 at 12:40 PM

I am a history nut. I remember being shocked in my sophomore year in college when I did a paper on how we got into the Vietnam War. In early 1986, I started digging for data in my US Government class…no Internet, now…just books. There were plenty of books on JFK & LBJ but, finding any relevant VN books with Nixon was damn near impossible. The paper I turned in got an A but, in my heart, it was incomplete because there wasn’t enough Nixon info. I just couldn’t find much.

The biggest thing that struck me was, I walked away from HS knowing NOTHING about it…and we were just a hair’s width out of a decade away from the end of it. I am a VN baby and my ‘public education’ ignored it.

bottomlesscoffee007 said:
        October 4, 2018 at 1:12 PM

Yep, it’s awesome that you take this on yourself. I need my eyes to be opened daily, if I am to attempt to know or understand what is actually taking place and what has actually taken place.

Perry Casilio said: