Shutterbug Saturday: Animal Friends

Update: I am changing the headings to all of my wildlife posts to Animal Friends. ~Vic

The deer in this town are so used to not being hunted, they will come out in broad daylight, eat, play and stare at you. Some are almost tame and you can get rather close to them. They’re cute but, they will mess up a garden if it is not properly secured. I learned the hard way not to plant tulips and I discovered that they like green/white Hosta but, not the green/yellow. They will not touch Narcissus. ~Vic

Wildlife Image One
Evening Walk
04-30-2019

Wildlife Image Two
Around Town
05-22-2019

Wildlife Image Three
Grazing, fear free.
05-22-2019
Wildlife Image Four
Tried to zoom in a bit.
The fuzziness makes it look like a painting.
05-22-2019

15 thoughts on “Shutterbug Saturday: Animal Friends

msjadeli said:
    September 15, 2019 at 12:45 AM

They are fearless little buggers, at least where you are. They’re more skittish here, but they will come up and eat the dropped fruit from my apple and pear trees. Yes, they also love to nibble my hosta, at least some of them. They also love lilies. I had to put fencing in front of my new ones this year to keep them away. Thankfully they grew more buds and all blossomed. Nice photos, Vic.

September 15, 2019 at 2:00 PM

Our next door neighbor has a mulberry tree & they go crazy over that.

I didn’t know about lilies.

Thank you! They are fun to watch.

msjadeli said:
        September 15, 2019 at 2:23 PM

You are welcome and didn’t know that about mulberries!

September 15, 2019 at 1:42 AM

There were 4 in the driveway the other day but once the door was opened they were gone.

September 15, 2019 at 3:06 PM

Yeah. They don’t hang around to chat. Just eating machines…

September 15, 2019 at 3:10 PM

Have they messed with your garden before?
        The biggest danger I’ve heard is when it is mating season…I’ve been told they can be deadly then.

September 15, 2019 at 3:36 PM

I wish I had a garden. Can’t grow one for a variety of reasons.

Luckily, they don’t appear to be mating in town. 😳 Too much noise, I would imagine.

September 15, 2019 at 7:38 PM

Yea we would like a garden also. She has a flower place in front and we have dropped Strawberries etc…but those damn squirrels get them.

LOL the mood is not right in town.

September 15, 2019 at 6:28 PM

Heh. Yeah. 🦌

September 15, 2019 at 10:39 AM

Our deer hang out in the cornfields, then in the winter, they hang out in my yard. I have learned to plant only NON-deer food, otherwise…it ain’t pretty what they can do. (Forget Roses)

September 15, 2019 at 3:08 PM

I didn’t know they ate roses. They can be destructive as hell.

September 15, 2019 at 4:33 PM

Yes. They adore roses…nip the buds right off the bush. And if you have flowers OH! MY! It’s buffet time!

ruthsoaper said:
    September 15, 2019 at 7:17 PM

We have a large deer population in our area. I counted 23 grazing in the back field last evening and they weren’t in a big hurry to run off as Trooper and I approached. It is always something to consider when deciding what to plant and where to plants it. A few things they don’t like – Garlic, Lavender, Oregano and Thyme.

September 15, 2019 at 7:48 PM

Onions, too, as I recall. I grew some Egyptian walking onions & they wouldn’t touch them.