Music Monday: Billboard Rant

Well, well, well…silly me. I was planning to do a post on a fresh Billboard chart entry for the week of September 23, 1989. After having done a Hot 100 entry and an Alternative Rock entry, I was looking at Adult Contemporary, Hot R&B, Hot Country and Mainstream Rock. Ladies…Gentlemen…if you so desire to look at Billboard’s history charts other than the Hot 100 chart, YOU ARE SHIT OUT OF LUCK. You can’t look at ANY of their charts, even the new ones, except the Hot 100…UNLESS YOU PAY THEM. This has happened, just in the last week.

I’m not paying these assholes $12/$13 a month just to LOOK at their damn charts. I was attempting to showcase ALL music pieces instead of just the number ones or stuff on the Hot 100, only. Not every song debuts on the Hot 100. Most country music goes straight to the country chart. Most rock, what new rock there is left to listen to on the radio, goes to rock charts. Now, I have no way of knowing what debuted when…or where. If anyone out there knows where I can get this information, let me know. FUCK THEM.

This situation tells me that Billboard magazine is in trouble and hemorrhaging money.

Billboard Screen Capture
Screen Capture from the site.

18 thoughts on “Music Monday: Billboard Rant

Angel at Watchyourlifeinpictures said:
    September 23, 2019 at 9:20 PM

I mean, does anyone still listen to radio?

BlackSheep said:
    September 23, 2019 at 10:09 PM

I swore when I wrote the post about Taylor Swift v. Tool I had access to the historical charts, and then the other day I noticed you had to pay.

This article confirms I was not losing my mind.

Who is going to pay to look at charts? Not me or you, that’s who not.

September 23, 2019 at 11:06 PM

That data has been free for, what…YEARS? Their magazine subscription has probably taken a hit, just like newspapers. Some newspapers that went online prevent readers from seeing articles until they pay for a subscription. That has backfired on many. Most sites use ad revenue.

These days, correct information is hard to come by.

September 23, 2019 at 10:55 PM

A month or so ago I couldn’t get any old charts but now it works. What I have to do is to google whatever artist I’m featuring…I will google “Van Morrison Chart History”.
    I’ve never tried to get to a certain daily chart though.

nostaligicitalian said:
    September 24, 2019 at 12:01 AM

Unreal!!!!

September 24, 2019 at 12:27 AM

Read, above. American Radio History has the magazine online and the Bloomberg article explains why it is happening.

floatinggold said:
    September 24, 2019 at 9:40 AM

I can’t imagine anyone paying for this. Unless you’re in the “industry”.

September 24, 2019 at 2:03 PM

There is bound to be a backlash. I caught a Reddit post that said this data had been free since Billboard went online. Why charge now? Because the magazine is hurting for business. And, half their shit isn’t right, anyway. Artists, at one time, had their history on there. You could click on their name and go to a section listing all of their Billboard hits. Most of them have disappeared, now. The Grammys, AMA, CMA, ACM, the Junos, CCMA…they all have databases with everything. Billboard is sloppy. And, they want people to pay?

I found the old magazines here:

bottomlesscoffee007 said:
    September 25, 2019 at 9:51 AM

It just kinda makes it that much cheaper, when you have to pay for it.

September 25, 2019 at 4:22 PM

That analogy works for prostitution. Not so much for a music chart…but, I follow you. 😁