TV Tuesday: All Creatures Great & Small 1975

All Creatures Image One
Image Credit: imdb.com

Forty-five years ago, today, the Hallmark Hall of Fame television movie All Creatures Great and Small aired on NBC. Based on two novels by James Alfred Wight (pen name James Herriot), If Only They Could Talk (1970) and It Shouldn’t Happen To A Vet (1972), it was the first of a series of films and TV series based on his work. Directed by Claude Whatham and produced by David Susskind, it starred Simon Ward (as James Herriot), Anthony Hopkins, Lisa Harrow, Brian Stirner and Freddie Jones.

From Wikipedia

It is 1937 and newly qualified vet James Herriot travels to Yorkshire to apply for the post of assistant in Siegfried Farnon’s practice. He soon learns the facts of country life but, struggles to overcome the prejudices of the Darrowby locals who are skeptical of the novice vet’s ability. In between cases, Herriot courts pretty farmer’s daughter Helen Alderson and finally marries her.

From Turner Classic Movies:

A gentle, episodic account of author Herriot’s apprenticeship in the mid-1930s to an eccentric rural English veterinarian and his awkward courtship of a farmer’s daughter.

All Creatures Image Two
Photo Credit: memorabletv.com

From IMDB:

The story of a young veterinarian’s apprenticeship to a somewhat eccentric, older vet in the English countryside and the young man’s hesitating courtship of the daughter of a local farmer.

Filming began May 1974 in Malton, North Yorkshire with studio work in London. The film wasn’t released in the UK until May 9, 1975, opening in London at Studio Two on Oxford Street.

Trivia Bits:
♦ Although born in Sunderland, England, James Herriot spent the first twenty-three years of his life in Glasgow, Scotland and never lost the accent, as can be heard in television interviews. Simon Ward however, plays him as a Londoner.
♦ Known to the cast and crew as “All Creatures Grunt and Smell”.

8 thoughts on “TV Tuesday: All Creatures Great & Small 1975

February 5, 2020 at 3:59 PM

It’s fun looking back at all of these tv movies. Some of them were really good and some bad. I think overall they were better than some of the modern Hallmark and Lifetime movies. Today’s “tv” movies are too predictable and sometimes feature unmotivated actors.

February 5, 2020 at 4:07 PM

I was thinking the same. I so miss the Friday night or Saturday night TV movie of the week. There used to be some damn fine actors back then. The Hallmark Channel…I just can’t. Not only does the writing make my teeth hurt, the acting is cardboard & shallow.

The Hollyweird industry has relegated TV movie actors to B-grade. These days, they want ‘woke’ movie stars or Amazon Prime/Netflix/Hulu/Disney/All Access cattle. Too much gore & violence for my taste. I get that shit on the news.

February 5, 2020 at 4:16 PM

The plots are SO predictable…The Christmas ones are really just a formula.
        I also miss those movies we got. They were written by really good writers and the actors were good.

February 5, 2020 at 4:31 PM

I can’t take Christmas anything on Hallmark. I’d toss my Christmas cookies.

I can just see the interviews, now. “Sir. I’d like to be in the next James Bond movie.” “Um…I have a slot for you on a Hallmark show. Best I can do…” Translation: You don’t have enough ‘star power’ or you can’t act your way out of a paper bag. LOL!

February 5, 2020 at 5:23 PM

Victoria don’t sugarcoat it tell me how you really feel LOL

February 9, 2020 at 4:53 AM

It was filmed about 10 miles from us.

February 9, 2020 at 12:46 PM

I saw Yorkshire and immediately thought of you.