Scoop Saturday: Navy Master Chief Ocean Protest

Navy Master Chief Protest Image One
Photo Credit: Mike Conner
businessinsider.com

Yep. New heading. ~Vic

A man wearing the US Navy uniform went to the oceanfront in Emerald Isle, North Carolina, on Thursday, in an apparent protest against the town’s restrictions amid the coronavirus pandemic. The man, who was identified by a witness as a retired US Navy [Master Chief], was seen photographed standing in front of a sign that read “LAND OF THE FREE.” Mike Conner, a longtime resident of Emerald Isle, and a surfer, told Insider the retired sailor stood in the waters for about 10 minutes before he was approached by law enforcement officers. Conner said the man was asked to remove himself from the area but, refused the request. “The sailor eventually left the water on his own accord, without incident”, Conner added.

Hours after the incident, the town announced it would lift the ban on access on Saturday. Surfers, and other residents, previously expressed their disapproval by staging protests throughout the area and were “fired up by the closures”, Conner said. “We’re very happy that Emerald Isle allowed access, not just to us swimmers but, to everybody that uses it as a medium for their exercise,” Connor said. “We don’t want our rights stomped all over.”

The man in the uniform and the Emerald Isle Police Department did not respond to a request for comment.

David Choi
Business Insider
April 17, 2020

Additional Articles:
North Carolina Beach Reopens After Navy Serviceman’s Ocean Protest (National File Website)
Navy Master Chief Stands His Ground (BizPac Review)

Retired Chief Rife

11 thoughts on “Scoop Saturday: Navy Master Chief Ocean Protest

cindy knoke said:
    April 19, 2020 at 12:42 AM

I think Master Chiefs are the best people in the Navy.

April 19, 2020 at 5:12 AM

Heh. I have a friend that is a retired SCPO (E-8) and I was married to a Master Sergeant (also an E-8) for 12 years. My current SO (partner) was an E-4 Bosun’s Mate (and former Corpsman striker), plus a Seabee in Vietnam. I have another friend that is a retired E-6 Gunner’s Mate. Honey, I’ve been swimming in the Dept. of the Navy since I was 15 years old. LOL!

David Redpath said:
    April 19, 2020 at 2:01 AM

I don’t have a dog in this fight,
    Vic. But I always bet on the dog in
    uniform,rather than the pandered
    one in a suit 😎

April 19, 2020 at 1:56 PM

Me, too. What few articles covered this stated that, just prior to his protest, three other people were arrested and hauled off for going to the beach. Those small town cops really didn’t want to mess with a veteran, especially a career E-9. That could bring some serious heat down on them.

David Redpath said:
        April 19, 2020 at 6:53 PM

It’ll be Rambo 2.O 💥

April 19, 2020 at 8:22 PM

Not sure about that but, arresting a retired Navy veteran just for standing in the water would bring about all kinds of backlash on media. Harassing veterans is not a good idea, not to mention the active military members would get pissed.

April 19, 2020 at 10:08 PM

I’m glad it ended peacefully…but yea they weren’t going to face the blacklash.

April 20, 2020 at 2:06 AM

Me, too. If they’d have been stupid enough to drag a uniformed veteran off to jail, even Ken would have been pissed about that.

April 20, 2020 at 2:07 AM

Yea I think they knew better than that. If I would have been out there…yea possible could have dragged my ass off.

April 20, 2020 at 2:10 AM

Three people had been arrested for just walking on the beach a few days before. Walking on the fucking beach… Salt water and salt air is very healing. Not so good for the vehicles, tho…

April 20, 2020 at 2:13 AM

Yea I dont’ get why they would care for that small group of people.
            No not good for vehicles.