Movie Monday: Cinderella’s Feller 1940

Cinderella's Feller Image One
Photo Credit: YouTube

Eighty years ago, today, the Technicolor Special (Warner Bros. Series) short family musical Cinderella’s Feller was released. Directed by William C. McGann and produced by Gordon Hollingshead, it starred Juanita Quigley, Scotty Beckett, Maris Wrixon, Virginia Brissac and, Terry as Rex the Dog, the Cairn Terrier best known as Toto in the MGM film The Wizard of Oz.

I can’t find much written about this little short, though it is on YouTube in its entirety. It’s only a little over 19 minutes long. It is not listed on Turner Classic Movies or the American Film Institute but, does show up on the British Film Institute…which I find odd.

The site Letterboxd simply states:

The story of Cinderella with a children’s cast.

Cinderella's Feller Image Two
Photo Credit: IMDB

IMDB is not much longer:

The famous fairy tale is musicalized and given a modern 1940s spin with the principal characters (Cinderella, Prince Charming and the Wicked Step Sisters) all played by children.

I guess the story of The Little Glass Slipper needs no explaining.

Trivia Bit:
♦ This short was produced toward the tail end of Shirley Temple‘s reign as Hollywood’s #1 box office star and it’s reasonable to assume it was made to showcase young talent that Warner Brothers may have thought had a shot at replicating Temple’s success.

Additional Reading:
Cairn Movie Descriptions 1940 (Cairn Terrier Movies Site)
Cinderella Folk Tale (Wikipedia)

16 thoughts on “Movie Monday: Cinderella’s Feller 1940

badfinger20 (Max) said:
    June 9, 2020 at 1:59 PM

This is really cute. I just finished it. “Silence Woman”…I’ll have to use that on Jen lol. I’m glad it’s not a complete musical

June 9, 2020 at 2:31 PM

It was cute. I got so tickled at the bunny that couldn’t whistle. There was a whole lot of very young talent in that, esp. that operatic singer. It’s hard to fathom that it was made before the US entered WWII and that 95% of those on that film are all dead, now (at least).

Tell me how that goes with Jen…LOL!

badfinger20 (Max) said:
        June 9, 2020 at 2:52 PM

Oh yea they are mostly gone I would think…I love doing that to her. “Where is my dinner woman?” I get such a kick out of seeing her face lol.

June 9, 2020 at 4:07 PM

Ken does the same to me, sometimes. “Hush, Woman!” Then, I thump him on the forehead or…smack his butt. LOL!

We watch a lot of Forensic Files on HLN. He always looks at me when the women who poison their husbands comes up. I keep telling him that I would never do that as it’s too much trouble. Fuck a bunch of poisoning…I’m too lazy. “If you piss me off THAT badly, I’ll just shoot you…with your own gun.” LOL! He just rolls his eyes. “Besides. I don’t want you dead. I want you alive so I can aggravate the shit out of you.” LMAO!!!

badfinger20 (Max) said:
            June 9, 2020 at 4:47 PM

LOL…yea we watch those also sometimes when she drags me into one. I like one or two but she can watch a marathon of them…they depress the hell out of me after a while.

I taught Bailey “where is my dinner woman” when he was 5…that was great!

June 10, 2020 at 12:50 AM

They can be very depressing but, fascinating, too.

You are so bad.

badfinger20 (Max) said:
                June 10, 2020 at 1:11 AM

They have so many ways of finding who murders who…it’s hard to get back with it.

June 10, 2020 at 1:14 AM

In today’s technology, they can find you with one particle of sneeze.

badfinger20 (Max) said:
                    June 10, 2020 at 1:23 AM

Another reason to wear a mask! lol

June 10, 2020 at 1:26 AM

I will forgo the mask and just behave myself. 😉

badfinger20 (Max) said:
                      June 10, 2020 at 1:28 AM

Google Gone With The Wind…I’m about to go to sleep…but google it under news

June 10, 2020 at 1:46 AM

Okie Dokie. Night!

badfinger20 (Max) said:
                      June 10, 2020 at 10:04 AM

Hope you have a good day today

June 10, 2020 at 1:56 PM

I’m awake. I’m NEVER bright-eyed & bushy-tailed but, I am relatively coherent. 😉😁😎

Back at ya’…

badfinger20 (Max) said:
                      June 10, 2020 at 6:42 PM

lol…I’m never that either…just on principle.

June 11, 2020 at 2:37 PM