Buck Moon 2020

Full Buck Moon Image One
Image Credit: Farmers’ Almanac 1818

This is my first Buck Moon post. I totally missed 2019 & 2018. There was also a penumbral lunar eclipse happening, as well. Full illumination occurred at 12:44am EDT. Howl for me! ~Vic

Buck Moon Image One
Skeleton Tree Hand
Waxing Gibbous
07-03-2020

The Full Moon in July is the Buck Moon, named after the new antlers that emerge from a buck’s forehead around this time of the year. It is also called Thunder Moon, Hay Moon and Wort Moon. For farmers, high summer [is] the time to cut and cure hay to put away for winter feed.

Buck Moon Image Two
Spooky trees.

One of the more common names for this month’s Full Moon is the Thunder Moon, a tribute from the Algonquin to a time of year when spectacular electrical storms rake the northern forests. The Chinese deserve credit for an equally ominous name. The moon coincides with the Hungry Ghost Festival, a time when the living honor the dead by leaving food and drink to the ancestors. Their name? The Moon of the Hungry Ghosts.

Buck Moon Image Three
From the parking deck.
07-14-2020

Wort Moon [indicates] that July is the time to gather herbs (worts) to dry and use as spices and remedies. Additional names are Halfway Summer Moon (Ojibwe/Chippewa), Blueberry Moon (Ojibwe), Raspberry Moon (Ojibwe), Flying Moon (Ojibwe), Thunderstorm Moon (Catawba), Corn in Tassel [Moon] (Eastern Band Cherokee), Honey Bee Moon (Stockbridge-Munsee Band of Wisconsin), String Bean Moon (Oneida) and Little Sister of the Summer Moon (Tunica-Biloxi Tribe of Louisiana).

Additional Reading & Sources:
Native American Moon Names (American Indian Alaska Native Tourism Association)
Full Buck Moon (Farmers’ Almanac 1818)
Full Moon Names (Moon Connection)
Full Thunder Moon (Moon Giant)
Full Moon For July (The Old Farmer’s Almanac 1792)
July: Buck Moon (Time and Date)

9 thoughts on “Buck Moon 2020

Silk Cords said:
    July 5, 2020 at 2:57 AM

I was wondering if you were going to remember, LOL.

As eclipses go, this one is pretty wimpy. Probably just as well we’ve got complete cloud cover.

July 5, 2020 at 3:28 AM

We have clear skies. The Moon was brilliant but, the eclipse? Humph. I watched the movement online (either NASA or Space…can’t remember) and, from our angle of view, the top of the Moon should have been at least “reddish.” Nope. Nothing. *sigh*

July 5, 2020 at 11:32 AM

Your photos are very good, as always! Happy July FULL MOON! Yay! FOR SUMMER

JT Twissel said:
    July 5, 2020 at 8:35 PM

Fascinating. I love astronomy. And the moon.

July 6, 2020 at 2:48 AM

I was born in the late morning of a full moon that night… I have always had a Moon fascination. I like astronomy but, I suck at math (there went my science studies…LOL!)

badfinger20 (Max) said:
    July 8, 2020 at 9:51 AM

The moon had more names than Elizabeth Taylor and Zsa Zsa Gabor combined. I like the spooky trees…