FFTD: Hibiscus

These flowers are frequently found in teas. They have a high Vitamin C content. I’ve tried them but, the flavor does not appeal to me that much. I lean more towards ginger and peppermint teas. ~Vic

Hibiscus Image
09-01-2018

Flower for the Day

25 thoughts on “FFTD: Hibiscus

July 27, 2020 at 7:29 AM

Spookily I’m just drinking it now.

KenshoHomestead said:
    July 27, 2020 at 9:33 AM

Gorgeous! I’m trying a new plant this year that’s related, Thai Red Roselle, also popular for tea, apparently. I’ll let you know if it makes for a good tea. 🙂

ruthsoaper said:
    July 27, 2020 at 9:46 AM

Mine are just starting to blossom. 🙂 They are so beautiful. I have never made them into tea though.

July 27, 2020 at 11:15 AM

I love them for their BIG BIG BIG blooms. Although, I don’t grow them in my yard. Some people do here.

bayphotosbydonna said:
    July 27, 2020 at 2:41 PM

Always such a photogenic flower! Take me to the islands! 🌺🍹🌴

badfinger20 (Max) said:
    July 28, 2020 at 7:23 PM

Great picture Vic…never have ate a flower…Dandelions are suppose to be good for you.

July 28, 2020 at 3:33 PM

I’ve had edible flowers in meals over the years…high end places.

You can eat dandelion flowers & leaves. I drink dandelion roasted root tea…nutty flavor. I eat the greens in salads & on sandwiches all the time…good for my cranky gallbladder. I’ve never eaten an actual flower, tho… We have them all over the yard but, I wouldn’t eat any of those due to Ken’s previous Roundup addiction.

badfinger20 (Max) said:
        July 28, 2020 at 3:35 PM

Yea I don’t blame you on that one…you might glow after eating a few. I may try one soon…we never use roundup or anything.

July 28, 2020 at 3:42 PM

Funny how they have been tagged as weeds when they are actually herbs. The leaves are a tad bitter as they aid digestion.

badfinger20 (Max) said:
            July 28, 2020 at 10:41 PM

They look great…but who knows? What do they taste like?

July 29, 2020 at 2:14 AM

They don’t taste like lettuce or spinach. They are dense to chew (esp. the organic ones) and bitter in taste. I’ve sauteed them with other greens like dino kale, beet greens and spinach. If you don’t like them fresh in a sandwich (salt, pepper & mayo helps), chop them up with garlic, onions and lots of butter. Cooking them softens them. In a sandwich, I always wind up pulling out whole pieces because they aren’t crisp like lettuce.

badfinger20 (Max) said:
                July 29, 2020 at 9:05 AM

That sounds good…I do want to try it. Cooking them probably would be best.

July 29, 2020 at 3:53 PM

Once you eat them a few times, you get used to the taste. Herbal digestive bitters at health food stores will always have dandelion as an ingredient.

Traditional Medicinals teas have a wonderful roasted dandelion root tea. On its own, it has a nutty flavor and I add a little honey & cinnamon stevia for some sweetness. Excellent for gallbladders & digestion.

I live off of herbal teas. Every single morning, I start my day with an organic blend of green, turmeric, ginger & cinnamon teas (Republic of Tea brand). It has just enough caffeine in the green tea to gently awaken you. And, turmeric…that is another spice that is grand. It has a deep, earthy flavor to it and can be pungent to smell but, consume a lot of it, you stop noticing. This stuff is SO good for pain management. People will buy turmeric capsules for natural pain medication. I spice my food with it all the time. I mix it into rice dishes and when I fry chicken for Ken. It gives food a wonderful golden color.

badfinger20 (Max) said:
                    July 29, 2020 at 6:09 PM

That sounds really good mixed in. I do love rice…the wild rice I really like also.

I wouldn’t mind at all trying different things.

July 29, 2020 at 10:12 PM

I don’t know about your area but, we have these markets. There are four locations. They are local to NC, only but, are tied in with multiple co-ops throughout the US. They carry local products from local farmers. They have a lot of organic stuff. I can get a big bunch of organic dandelion greens for $1.99. Do you have some kind of market that showcases local farmers or do you have a farmers’ market you can get to?

The small downside to turmeric is, it can make your nails yellow (not permanent) and it can stain clothing (not permanent). LOL! I frequently have yellow nails and yellow spots on my clothes. I cook (and bake, sometimes) with wild abandon. LOL!

badfinger20 (Max) said:
                      July 30, 2020 at 12:27 AM

Nashville west end would have stuff like that I believe…and the Green Hills area.
                      Lol…sure it’s not jaundice? lol.

There is also a place called Farmers Market near Nashville that I could go also.

July 30, 2020 at 3:47 AM

You might find some interesting stuff.