TV Tuesday: It’s Not Me, It’s Them! 1965

BBC2 Image
Image Credit: BFI

Up until this point, the only TV shows I have been posting were American. I will be branching out a bit. Naturally, the first non-American show I choose doesn’t have a lot of information written about it…or a video. ~Vic

Fifty-five years ago, today, the British comedy mini-series It’s Not Me, It’s Them! debuted on BBC2. Produced by Graeme Muir and written by Donald Churchill (The Hound of the Baskervilles), it starred Churchill, Norman Bird (Fawlty Towers), Jack Bligh (Doctor Who), George Betton (Coronation Street) and Anthony Dawes (Fawlty Towers).

Synopsis:

[This was] an early series from the pen of actor/writer Donald Churchill, focused on Albert Curfew, […] a young man unable to hold down a job for any length of time. The title came from a regular saying of Curfew’s every time he lost his job. Churchill (who also starred as well as wrote the scripts) claimed he based the series on a close friend of his. Guest stars in the single season show included Liz Fraser, Bill Kerr and Kate O’Mara.

BBC Genome Beta
BFI
British Comedy Guide
Episodes
Memorable TV

12 thoughts on “TV Tuesday: It’s Not Me, It’s Them! 1965

JT Twissel said:
    July 29, 2020 at 11:42 AM

I love the British comedies but somehow I missed this one.

July 29, 2020 at 4:10 PM

I think this thing was a one-off. It was live comedy filmed, then broken into six pieces. It ran on Wednesdays from July 28 to September 1. I don’t think it was ever aired, again and, as best as I can tell, it was never released to the US.

If the episodes still exist, BBC has them in a vault, somewhere. If they don’t, well…the BBC has been known to destroy its own stuff. Case in point: Early Doctor Who.

July 30, 2020 at 7:38 PM

I’ve completely missed this one.

badfinger20 (Max) said:
    July 31, 2020 at 6:48 PM

One day you will feature one that I know…I love BBC programs…the old ones but I don’t know this one.

July 31, 2020 at 10:33 PM

I suspect this thing is either in BBC’s closet or they destroyed it, much like Doctor Who. Same basic time frame.

badfinger20 (Max) said:
        July 31, 2020 at 10:36 PM

I HATE that. No telling what they destroyed. Damn idiots…just to save very little money

July 31, 2020 at 10:52 PM

Suits. They don’t care.

badfinger20 (Max) said:
            July 31, 2020 at 10:55 PM

They are the ones that needed to be destroyed. I’ve seen a few videos about it on youtube. One dude pulled out a video at the last moment and it had Jimi Hendrix on the LuLu show.

July 31, 2020 at 11:42 PM

What? BBC destroying films?

badfinger20 (Max) said:
                July 31, 2020 at 11:48 PM

I don’t know if you are being sarcastic lol…ok video

August 1, 2020 at 3:12 AM

No. Legit question. “They are the ones that needed to be destroyed.” Referring to the suits…or the films? Sorta confused…

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: