TV Tuesday: It’s Not Me, It’s Them! 1965

BBC2 Image
Image Credit: BFI

Up until this point, the only TV shows I have been posting were American. I will be branching out a bit. Naturally, the first non-American show I choose doesn’t have a lot of information written about it…or a video. ~Vic

Fifty-five years ago, today, the British comedy mini-series It’s Not Me, It’s Them! debuted on BBC2. Produced by Graeme Muir and written by Donald Churchill (The Hound of the Baskervilles), it starred Churchill, Norman Bird (Fawlty Towers), Jack Bligh (Doctor Who), George Betton (Coronation Street) and Anthony Dawes (Fawlty Towers).

Synopsis:

[This was] an early series from the pen of actor/writer Donald Churchill, focused on Albert Curfew, […] a young man unable to hold down a job for any length of time. The title came from a regular saying of Curfew’s every time he lost his job. Churchill (who also starred as well as wrote the scripts) claimed he based the series on a close friend of his. Guest stars in the single season show included Liz Fraser, Bill Kerr and Kate O’Mara.

BBC Genome Beta
BFI
British Comedy Guide
Episodes
Memorable TV

16 thoughts on “TV Tuesday: It’s Not Me, It’s Them! 1965

Silk Cords said:
    July 28, 2020 at 10:11 PM

Wow, alot of later well known names there. 🙂

It’s always interesting to find early work of people who became famous. All the more so if it’s a cringe (or MST3K) worthy B film, lol.

July 29, 2020 at 2:05 AM

Everybody gotta start somewhere. LOL!

Most of the older stuff is not as polished as today’s productions and can be a lot funnier. Plus, in the case of the Brits, they have a much better grasp on humor and innuendo. We Americans can be dull twits.

Silk Cords said:
        July 29, 2020 at 2:11 AM

Indeed they do. It’s still comical when you see a HUGE name starlet as a brief victim in some 80s horror film only worthy of MST3K though, LOL.

Brit humor… Overall yeah. I don’t think most Americans got half the jokes in Holy Grail, like the skit with the guy complaining about government was poking fun at the Brit socialists

July 29, 2020 at 4:23 PM

This comment got thrown in the trash for some reason. Geez…

Hell. I had to get over the age of 30 before Brit humor made any sense to me. They are, culturally, funnier than we are. They can have layered word-play, whereas we lean more towards physical humor…and I am not a slap-stick humor type.

The MST3K was a trip. It is amusing to see big stars in their early incarnations. The great & powerful Jared Padalecki was a casualty in a House of Wax horror movie before he became Sam Winchester. And, speaking of, I just saw a pilot that he is “supposed” to star in (with COVID, who knows…) as Cordell Walker. Sound familiar?

JT Twissel said:
    July 29, 2020 at 11:42 AM

I love the British comedies but somehow I missed this one.

July 29, 2020 at 4:10 PM

I think this thing was a one-off. It was live comedy filmed, then broken into six pieces. It ran on Wednesdays from July 28 to September 1. I don’t think it was ever aired, again and, as best as I can tell, it was never released to the US.

If the episodes still exist, BBC has them in a vault, somewhere. If they don’t, well…the BBC has been known to destroy its own stuff. Case in point: Early Doctor Who.

July 30, 2020 at 7:38 PM

I’ve completely missed this one.

badfinger20 (Max) said:
    July 31, 2020 at 6:48 PM

One day you will feature one that I know…I love BBC programs…the old ones but I don’t know this one.

July 31, 2020 at 10:33 PM

I suspect this thing is either in BBC’s closet or they destroyed it, much like Doctor Who. Same basic time frame.

badfinger20 (Max) said:
        July 31, 2020 at 10:36 PM

I HATE that. No telling what they destroyed. Damn idiots…just to save very little money

July 31, 2020 at 10:52 PM

Suits. They don’t care.

badfinger20 (Max) said:
            July 31, 2020 at 10:55 PM

They are the ones that needed to be destroyed. I’ve seen a few videos about it on youtube. One dude pulled out a video at the last moment and it had Jimi Hendrix on the LuLu show.

July 31, 2020 at 11:42 PM

What? BBC destroying films?

badfinger20 (Max) said:
                July 31, 2020 at 11:48 PM

I don’t know if you are being sarcastic lol…ok video

August 1, 2020 at 3:12 AM

No. Legit question. “They are the ones that needed to be destroyed.” Referring to the suits…or the films? Sorta confused…