Flick Friday: Vigilante Hideout 1950

Vigilante Hideout Image One
Image Credit: IMDB & Amazon

Technically, today is also a bust for Flick Friday, just like my July 24 post. There were no movie releases, today, in 1950, either, so I will grab the August 6 release. Seventy years ago, yesterday, the western film Vigilante Hideout was released. Directed by Fred C. Bannon and written by Richard Wormser, it starred Allan Lane, Black Jack (Allan Lane’s horse), Eddie Waller, Roy Barcroft and Virginia Herrick.

IMDB Summary:

Rocky (Lane), a Range Detective, arrives to help Nugget (Waller) with rustlers. When he learns Nugget owns only three cows, he stays on, anyway and, soon, becomes involved in Benson’s attempt to blow open the bank’s safe. When Rocky upsets his plans, Benson (Don Haggerty), supposedly, gets rid of him by having him declared an outlaw, wanted dead or alive. Then, Benson takes a load of explosives into an old mine located directly under the bank vault.

Vigilante Hideout Image Two
Image Credit: Wikipedia & Wikimedia

Letterboxd Summary:

Double-barreled justice catches up with a cold-blooded killer when “Rocky” takes up the chase! Cattle detective, Rocky Lane, arrives in town to investigate cattle disappearances only to realize just three cows, owned by eccentric inventor Nugget Clark, are involved. However, the disappearances lead to a deeper mystery involving dynamite explosions, rampaging cowboys and a water shortage.

TV Guide Summary:

Lane and his trusty black stallion are on hand to help old-timer Waller find water for a town which is threatening to fold up due to drought. Some crooked townsfolk don’t want the water to be found because they want to collect on the $25,000 being stashed away for an aqueduct. Lane’s job is to make sure these people don’t pose too much of a problem, while Waller goes about finding the water. The characterization of Waller as a crazed inventor of gadgets is an added attraction to this oater with a realistic bent.

Full Synopsis (Turner Classic Movies)

Additional Reading:
American Film Institute

The Complete Movie

11 thoughts on “Flick Friday: Vigilante Hideout 1950

badfinger20 (Max) said:
    August 7, 2020 at 10:16 AM

You must look for hard to find or rare movies…which is a good thing… I’ve seen A Lot of classic movies but I have yet to see one you have shown…many of them though to be fair…look good.

August 7, 2020 at 1:32 PM

Actually, I just plug in a date in the IMDB search function. I take the Monday & Friday dates and try to match them up, going in five year increments, if possible. I try to do the same with music (except with my weekend playlists…that is strictly alphabetical). Sometimes, I get squat. When I started doing movies, I only did #1s and that became a task because, the older the movie, the harder it is to determine rank. Even music ranking is a mess and it is constantly shifting due to “experts” changing the rules. When I saw Rhianna ranked up there as high as Elvis, The Beatles, The Stones and the REAL musicians, I knew the measuring stick was grossly flawed.

I have a method to my madness. 😄

badfinger20 (Max) said:
        August 7, 2020 at 3:13 PM

” I knew the measuring stick was grossly flawed.” Amen sister!!!
        Ok I got you…it’s interesting learning about these movies…I love when you have silent movies.

August 8, 2020 at 2:30 AM

I make my rounds. My next movie will be 1955, whether a Movie Monday or a Flick Friday. I will get up to 2015 and start back at the beginning, again, looking for old stuff.

badfinger20 (Max) said:
            August 8, 2020 at 3:13 AM

I like the stuff you find…I keep thinking…one day I will have seen it.

JT Twissel said:
    August 7, 2020 at 12:41 PM

Hi-ho, get along little doggies!

The Conductor said:
    August 12, 2020 at 1:18 PM

Gotta love a good western!

August 12, 2020 at 5:09 PM

Exactly. I watched The Good, The Bad & The Ugly last week. It came out the year I was born. That is one screwy movie…🤪