Town Tuesday: Twin Chimneys 1768

Another one of Hillsborough’s oldest homes. ~Vic

Twin Chimneys Image One
Photo Credit: Library of Congress
Historic American Buildings Survey
February 1965

Twin Chimneys, so named for the paired chimneys in each gable end, is sited on a hill on West King Street, directly across from the Colonial Inn and the Parks-Richmond House […]. An iron gate from Stewart Iron Works in Cincinnati, Ohio, separates the house from the pedestrian traffic of the sidewalk. [It] is reputedly a pre-Revolutionary house, however, the exact date of construction is not known. It is important to note that a house is sited at the exact location on the 1768 Sauthier Map of Hillsborough but, it cannot be assumed that the houses are the same.

Twin Chimneys Image Two
05-20-2019
Twin Chimneys Image Three
07-14-2020
Twin Chimneys Gate Image Four
Left side gate.
Photo Credit: Pinterest

This is a most delightful old house, with four huge chimneys and a second-floor balcony, from which a view of the busy thoroughfare, King Street, may have been enjoyed down through the years. The lot on which it stands was once owned by Edmund Fanning.

It is interesting to know that this house was the setting for the old romantic novel, “Joscelyn Cheshire.” According to the story, the heroine concealed her lover in the attic to protect him from Cornwallis’ army. The house served at one time as Hillsborough’s Post Office.

Archibald DeBow Murphey was a North Carolina politician known as the “Father of Education” in his state for his proposals that benefited public works and public education. [Murphey] died at Twin Chimneys in Hillsborough on February 1, 1832. He is buried at the Presbyterian Church […]. The town of Murphy, North Carolina (despite its spelling) was named after him.

Additional Information & Sources:
Twin Chimneys Photos (Library of Congress)
National Register of Historic Places Inventory (PDF) (North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources)
Twin Chiimneys (Open Orange NC)
Joscelyn Cheshire Full Text (Project Gutenberg)

Twin Chimneys Image Five
06-22-2018

11 thoughts on “Town Tuesday: Twin Chimneys 1768

August 11, 2020 at 12:01 PM

Gosh, that is pretty! Thank you for the wee tour and history.

August 11, 2020 at 1:54 PM

It’s lovely to walk past. The gardens are well kept. They garden with perennials. The porch ceiling is that Southern pale blue. The brick side steps are all original. I’ve caught a glimpse of the interior through the double front doors. The huge foyer has red walls. I can just picture the old gas lamps that were there at one time. But, this house predates even that.

August 11, 2020 at 4:19 PM

Red velvet curtains, red walls, dark soothing wood…a glow….I could live there and go way back in time.

badfinger20 (Max) said:
    August 17, 2020 at 10:48 PM

4 Chimneys? Geez that would be warm. 4 air conditioners would be more like it lol.
    I can’t imagine how hot it got in those old houses back then.

August 17, 2020 at 11:02 PM

It does seem like over-kill but, no such animal as A/C in the 1700s. LOL! That’s why those old houses have high ceilings and transoms.

I think multiple chimneys for multiple fireplaces was some kind of sign of wealth.

badfinger20 (Max) said:
        August 17, 2020 at 11:03 PM

If I lived in the old west…I would see a cave in my future! DIdn’t they keep ice in caves then? I would build my house at the mouth of a cave…

August 17, 2020 at 11:34 PM

Ice in caves? LOL! I have no idea.

Building houses into the Earth maintains a temperate house or, so I’ve read and seen on TV.

badfinger20 (Max) said:
            August 17, 2020 at 11:42 PM

I’m going to search for that…they had ice back then…they had to keep it somewhere.
            I saw on Gunsmoke where a lot of those houses where built half buried.

August 17, 2020 at 11:52 PM

From what I’ve learned, the Earth maintains 55 degrees, steady.

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: