Wayback Wednesday: Gulliver’s Travels 1726

Gullivers Travels Wikipedia Image One
Image Credit: Wikipedia & Wikimedia

Two-hundred, ninety-four years ago, today, the book of satirical stories, Gulliver’s Travels was published. Written by Irish clergyman Jonathan Swift, the original title was Travels into Several Remote Nations of the World. In Four Parts. By Lemuel Gulliver, First a Surgeon, and then a Captain of Several Ships. That has to be the longest book title in existence. I’ve never read any of it, nor have I seen the various movies that have been put out. That being said, there are several well written summaries and opinions on the material and, I’m not reinventing the wheel. ~Vic

Gulliver’s Travels Study Guide on Grade Saver:

Gulliver’s name probably is an allusion to King Lemuel of Proverbs 31, who was a weak-minded prophet. Swift may also be connecting his character to a common mule, a half-ass, half-horse animal that is known for being stubborn and stupid. A gull is a person who is easily fooled or gullible. At the same time, Gulliver represents the everyman with his average intelligence and general good humor. The reader is able to identify with him and join him in his travels. Even though Swift constantly alludes to events that were happening while he was alive, the story rings true today, bringing light to our own societal issues and to patterns of human nature. Throughout Gulliver’s voyages, Swift goes to great lengths to scrutinize, parody, and satire various aspects of human, and often English, society.

Lilliputians Blogspot Image Two
Image Credit: Meisterwerke on Blogger

The Imaginative Conservative:

A mock work of travel literature, Jonathan Swift’s famous novel is a far deeper work than one of just Juvenalian and Horatian satire. It is an indictment against the prevailing spirit of Enlightenment philosophy and utopianism, an esoteric defense of Christianity against its Enlightenment critics, and a prophetic vision into the future degeneration of humanity in following the dictates of the natural philosophers of modernity. Swiftian irony is one of the great joys of the work. [Where] traditional literary narrative has the travelling protagonist return home to comfort and love, Swift’s Gulliver returns home deranged and a hater of humanity.

Additional Reading:
1939 Animated Movie (IMDb)
1977 UK Movie (IMDb)
1996 TV Mini-Series (IMDb)
20th Century Fox 2010 Movie (IMDb)
Britannica
Gulliver’s Travels (Wikipedia)
Jonathan Swift (Wikipedia)
Wikisource Text of the Book

13 thoughts on “Wayback Wednesday: Gulliver’s Travels 1726

Tippy Gnu said:
    October 28, 2020 at 9:09 AM

I’ve never read it, either, but I think it would be a good read. Maybe one of these days.

badfinger20 (Max) said:
    October 28, 2020 at 10:20 PM

I’ve never read it but I’ve seen a short cartoon feature from it…and in 1st or 2nd grade we had a story book with an abridged version in it. I loved the story.

October 28, 2020 at 10:45 PM

There are actually four separate stories. The Lilliputians are usually the ones that get read/seen the most.

badfinger20 (Max) said:
        October 28, 2020 at 10:49 PM

See I didn’t know that at all. All I know is about the Lilliputians… I love that name by the way… Lilliputians, Lilliputians, Lilliputians

October 28, 2020 at 11:02 PM

LOL! They were the little people.

Then, he met giants. Then, there was the flying island of Laputa, two other islands & Japan. Then, the race of talking horses.

It’s a bizarre thing. Eighteenth century humor…

badfinger20 (Max) said:
            October 28, 2020 at 11:03 PM

It sounds like a cool book to read…I wonder if they have animated all of it?

October 29, 2020 at 12:11 AM

I found some animations and full length movies on YouTube.

badfinger20 (Max) said:
                October 29, 2020 at 12:15 AM

Cool…I will look for them. If they are good quality…download a browser named “Torch” and with Torch you can go onto youtube and download the videos

October 29, 2020 at 12:48 AM

I download YouTube videos all the time with RealPlayer.

Did you happen to notice that WordPress just crashed for a few minutes?

badfinger20 (Max) said:
                    October 29, 2020 at 12:49 AM

Ok…no I was working on tomorrow’s post

October 29, 2020 at 12:51 AM

Hmmm…maybe it was our ISP. WordPress crashed and I couldn’t get to Bing. I could get to YouTube & Google. That was weird as hell.

What do you think of Torch? I’ve never heard of it.

badfinger20 (Max) said:
                      October 29, 2020 at 12:53 AM

I like it and it makes it easy to download it… It’s build like Chrome…just with those features…you can download the audio part separately.