Shutterbug Saturday: Scenes From A ROT Rally 2006

These shots were taken by my buddy and childhood friend, Hank…well, most of them. I grabbed the camera a couple of times. He shared these with me but, the copyright is all his. This was my first motorcycle rally and the first time I’d laid eyes on Hank in 20+ years. It was such a fun time and reunion and, the only time I have ever seen Joan Jett, live. “ROT” is short for “Republic of Texas”. The Rally suffered quite a bit during the plandemic and lost its regular venue in Austin. They are trying to make a comeback. ~Vic

Hank Image One
Night Lights
Blue Glow Image Nine
Blue & Green Glow
South Side Rider Image Ten
Polaris Slingshot Prototype?
Shot Of Me Image Eleven
Yep. This is me…several pounds heavier than today.
Notice my cute, pink Motorola flip-phone…
and my Marine Corps gear.
I was still issued to the Jarhead back then.

10 thoughts on “Shutterbug Saturday: Scenes From A ROT Rally 2006

christiansmusicmusings said:
    April 2, 2023 at 9:20 AM

So you’re a biker? 🙂

These are quite impressive-looking bikes. Note I’m strictly reacting to the visuals. I have no technical knowledge of motorbikes.

In my teens, I inherited my six-year-older sister’s scooter. Scooter isn’t really the right word. In Germany, we called it MoFa, basically a bicycle with an auxiliary engine. Maximum speed was a whooping 30 mph. Still, it was fun riding.

Except for one vacation in Southern Turkey, I never rode a “real” motorbike. There, my then-girlfriend and I, who were students at the time and didn’t have much money, rented a small bike with a 125 ccm engine. If I recall it correctly, that one could go up 60 mph.

Technically, I didn’t even have a license, but my car driver’s license was sufficient. Frankly, it was a bit adventurous since I kind of needed to figure out on the spot how the ride the bike. Well, we survived! 🙂

April 2, 2023 at 12:37 PM

Me? A biker? Not really. I had fun as a passenger with Hank. Later on, I was a passenger with my ex-Marine. Hank had raced motorcycles, as well as Corvettes (he is an engineer for a global company). Hank was a much better rider than my ex. My ex was a bit rough, particularly when it came time to brake.

There was a point in time when I took lessons to learn how to ride, myself. That ended badly. I got thrown over the handlebars of a worn out bike, in a cheap training class. I should have gone directly to a Harley dealership & learned from them. I lost my nerve. I haven’t been back on a motorcycle since 2008? 2009? I moved into yoga. LOL!

Your MoFa sounds like our mopeds. They were a hot item when I was in high school. I never had one but, the richest members of my school did.

I think I would like a Vespa. I’ve seen one or two in my town.

I was never a biker chick. Hank and I had fun at other rallys, one in particular in Galveston. There is a nasty underbelly in US biker culture. When riding with my ex-Marine, he joined the Patriot Guard in TX. The Guard would ride to, and for, military funerals & some cops. He made friends with some guys that turned out to be not so good. We were invited to a party at a bikers house. Not my idea of fun. Most of the women there conducted themselves like hookers & strippers. There were other bikers outside, drunk & stumbling, many unable to get back on their bikes. Some passed out in the yard. There were even little kids there, that I felt sorry for (children of the owners of the house). We got out of there and went home. I told my ex…”they are not our kind of people.” Hank gave him a warning. Groups, like what we saw, were tied to the Banditos motorcycle gang. Bad, bad news…

christiansmusicmusings said:
        April 2, 2023 at 1:18 PM

Wow, thanks for sharing all that background. While I like how certain bikes look, I’m not sure I’d enjoy a biker club. And it’s not only because of the oftentimes degrading treatment of women.

April 2, 2023 at 11:17 PM

Welcome. I hope I wasn’t too boring. I’ve had some fun but, I certainly don’t lead an exciting life.

April 3, 2023 at 11:14 AM

Aren’t you just the cutest thing EVER!

April 3, 2023 at 4:41 PM

I don’t know about that. I was way too heavy back then. Big pharma screwed up my endocrine system for years.

doerfpub said:
    April 9, 2023 at 3:01 PM

A world/culture I have had very little exposure to.. with the exception of the Blackhearts ha.

April 9, 2023 at 12:52 PM

The rallys were…interesting. The pictures, above, reflect a decent rally. Hank, his wife & I went to another rally in Austin on private property a year or two, later. That one was a bit rough. There was no music venue for that one. I saw some strange sights. This place had a campground-type set-up with a mile+ circling dirt track. Oh, the wildness. The funniest, strangest thing I saw that night was an old man…OLD man…naked, on a motorized skateboard/scooter thing with handlebars. All he had on was a weiner sock. 😳😵‍💫

I can’t remember if we stayed overnight or left. My ex-Marine, for all the motorcycle riding we did, never went to a rally. He just wasn’t interested.

The best rally, to me, was Galveston, shortly before I left Texas. Much better venue. Sturgis is the biggest one, followed by Daytona. I’ve never been to those two.

I haven’t been on a motorcycle in 15 years.