Snapshots Sunday: Snow Bombs 2018

Rocking Chair Image One
12-09-2018

All photos are my personal collection.

Have mercy…two big snowstorms in one year. This is reminding me of my childhood. I remember lots of snow and lots of snowmen in the 70s. I also remember folks being more mobile back then, too. Anytime there was a snow forecast, my dad was putting chains on the back tires of the ’72 Charger. Everybody got chains and off they went. Even in the early 80s, a manual, front-wheel-drive compact would pretty much get you anywhere. My 1977 Honda Civic and my 1983 Toyota Tercel took me where I wanted to go. People just don’t do that anymore. Cars these days are definitely more fragile and lighter than the metal monsters of yesteryear.

I remember zipping around in the snow in the middle 80s (college days) in my Civic. One particular trip, I was headed to a friend’s place for snacks, movies and snowballs. I was approaching an intersection that included a railroad crossing (with roads and individual intersections on either side) and a steep, short hill on the other side of it. The light was red as I cleared the tracks but, my Civic became excited about the hill-induced inertia and my attempt to slow down (tapping said brakes lightly) only brought my ass end around. Just as the light turned green, I slid sideways, all the way thru the intersection. Once my Civic was done having fun (yes, I’m blaming it on the car), I came to a stop, hitting nothing…and, nothing hitting me…and, then, proceeded on my way. If it were today, I’d either be dead or, viral on social media.

Today

Side Door Image Two
Hmmm…little difficult opening the side door
Covered Mum Image Three
There really is a Mum under there
Cedar Tree Image Four
Heavy Cedar limbs
Adirondack Chairs Image Five
My Adirondacks are nearly covered.

January 17

Mighty Oak Image Six
01-17-2018
Majestic, mighty Oak across the street
Dogwood Image Seven
Cold little Dogwood
Mr. Maple Image Eight
Mr. Maple in the front yard
Lonely Tree Image Nine
Lonely tree in the empty lot up the street
Ollie Image Ten
Seriously, Mommy? What IS this stuff?

14 thoughts on “Snapshots Sunday: Snow Bombs 2018

December 9, 2018 at 4:53 PM

Try tying something heavy to the back of the car, say a fridge. Might help the civics snow performance. I can confirm civics perform well in Yorkshire conditions.

December 10, 2018 at 12:15 AM

A fridge, huh? Does said fridge come with wheels, also, because, if not, I’m imagining either spinning tires & no forward motion or…the loud sound of metal on pavement and an engine red-lining/whining.

The Civic’s snow performance was award winning. It said “Wheeeeeeeee”, I nearly peed, nothing was damaged and no one died. It was Oscar-worthy or, perhaps BAFTA-worthy.

How about Nissan Frontiers? Yorkshire suitable?

Liked by 2 people

December 16, 2018 at 5:33 AM

Swiss Postal Services use a lot of little Fiat Pandas. They know a thing or two about snow and ice.

December 16, 2018 at 1:54 PM

I’ve never heard of a Fiat Panda. Sounds cute.

Our postmen have boxy jeeps…the only vehicles on the road with the steering wheels on the right side…besides imports.

Speaking of, I occasionally see this green, older MG with UK plates still on it (NC plate underneath) and right-side steering wheel. It is gorgeous.

the britchy one said:
    December 9, 2018 at 6:05 PM

Your Adirondacks look like the real Adirondacks! I was in Jacksonville in January when the snow and ice storm hit. I was trapped there for three days because the roads were so bad. It literally came to a standstill. When I left I was the only one on the road until I hit i95.

December 10, 2018 at 12:24 AM

They are very real. One is my size and one is Ken’s size (for longer legs; he is 6′ 3″). Mine is a Cedar/Oak blend and his is all Cedar. A local craftsman made them. He is always at our local Farmers Market. When the weather is nice, I’m sitting in my front yard, journaling.

Ah, ha. So, you got to experience the FIRST Snow Bomb. That one was actually worse than this one. December snows, if we get them at all, are not as bad as the following January/February.

Just as I posted, above, when I was a kid, people didn’t stop moving just because of snow…and we got a lot in the 70s. Ice storms, too.

the britchy one said:
        December 10, 2018 at 12:29 AM

I meant Real Adirondacks as in the Mountains! Sorry for the confusion! Looks like we’ll be keeping the snowblower, shovels and studded tires after all damnit

December 10, 2018 at 12:44 AM

*Sigh*

You know, it’s nearly 1:00am here. I just glazed right over your comment. Duh. I just re-read it. I was thinking “No. The are definitely not plastic. They are the real deal.” OY. Mountains. Yeah. Snow-covered.

I’m going to bed. GEEZUS.

Yes. Bring the wintry accoutrements. Only our coast gets the least amount of white stuff.

Liked by 2 people

PlantsandBeyond said:
    December 10, 2018 at 7:42 AM

Wow !! So much slow 💖 lots to clean – I remember that time , but for now enjoy it’s sparkles ✨

PlantsandBeyond said: