POTD: Stickwork Sculpture

In November of 2015, Patrick Dougherty of Stickwork was commissioned by the Hillsborough Arts Council to craft a sculpture for our Riverwalk. The saplings were sustainably harvested from the Ayr Mount Historic Site. In December of last year, the heavy snowfall damaged the original piece and it was finally taken down. I’m glad I got some photos of it. ~Vic

Stickwork Sculpture Image
“A Sight To Behold”
06-09-2017

16 thoughts on “POTD: Stickwork Sculpture

cindy knoke said:
    June 4, 2019 at 1:54 am

It looks like a forest witches house.

June 4, 2019 at 12:02 pm

Heh. It does, doesn’t it? This guy was incredibly talented. I miss seeing it on my walks.

bayphotosbydonna said:
    June 4, 2019 at 8:03 am

Amazing creation! Sad it couldn’t last forever…

June 4, 2019 at 12:09 pm

I agree. The artist will tell you that their lifespan is around two years. This one lasted a little over three. His website is fascinating.

bayphotosbydonna said:
        June 4, 2019 at 12:34 pm

How wonderful that it did last another year! I am glad you mentioned all this, I just went back to go to his website you linked. I thought I clicked it to open in another window while I kept reading your post. Patrick’s work is astounding….WOW! I would love to walk around and through his artwork.

June 4, 2019 at 5:13 pm

As many times as I walked thru our Riverwalk Castle, I was in awe of what he accomplished. The vision in an artist’s mind…I wish I had. I’m way too left-brained.

June 4, 2019 at 8:07 pm

That is stunning. Could get so many stories out of that.

floatinggold said:
    June 4, 2019 at 9:39 am

It’s intriguing, but… why?
    Also, the placement? The tree obstructing the entrance just seems like a poor choice.

June 4, 2019 at 5:07 pm

Why? You mean, why build it?

The tree wasn’t obstructing the entrance, it just appears that way. It’s a good three feet away. Other than that, I don’t know what decisions were made about placement. The Hillsborough Arts Council and the artist worked that out. Nothing was ever posted as an explanation for site choice.

floatinggold said:
        June 5, 2019 at 10:22 am

Yes, why build THAT. And why do it THERE.
        Just curious if there was more to its backstory.

June 5, 2019 at 2:16 pm

IDK. That would be an internal conversation within HAC. The only thing I got out of what info was released was that our town was the smallest place he’d ever done a sculpture. The rest? Anything else I could come up with would be pure speculation.

June 4, 2019 at 11:30 am

WOW! That is really neat!

June 4, 2019 at 5:08 pm

He was very talented. He’s got structures all over the place.

June 5, 2019 at 11:47 am

Now that is cool. I love natural art. Imagine being a kid looking at that…play time!

June 5, 2019 at 2:18 pm

Exactly. The kids loved it. But, the Arts Council had a sign up that said “No Climbing”. It wasn’t exactly sturdy, in the long term.

June 5, 2019 at 2:39 pm

Yea it had to be tempting for them lol…heck it would be for me .