Tune Tuesday: Let’s Hear It For The Boy 1984

Footloose Image One
Photo Credit: rollingstone.com

Thirty-five years ago, today, the #1 song on the Billboard Hot 100 and Hot R & B charts (plus Cash Box) was Let’s Hear It For The Boy by Deniece Williams from the soundtrack of the movie Footloose. This was Williams second number one hit on the Billboard 100.

Composed by Tom Snow and Dean Pitchford, country singer Jana Kramer performed the song for the 2011 Footloose remake.

Deniece Williams Image Two
Image Credit: classic45s.com

From Songfacts [no citations]:

This was the second single from the Footloose soundtrack, following the “title track,” which was recorded by Kenny Loggins. In the film, the song was used in a scene where Kevin Bacon tries to teach Christopher Penn how to dance and Penn is having a hard time.

Once the song was written, Pitchford asked Deniece Williams and her producer George Duke to record the song. Kenny Loggins was onboard for the title track, which gave the project credibility and, Williams loved the song and the story idea for the film. She grew up in a small Indiana town with a religious environment similar to the one described in Footloose. When she saw the film, she thought the scene where they used her song was incredible. “If I had come to the film without the music in and they asked me what segment I wanted my song to be in, I would have chosen that segment.” said Williams.

Best Original Song Academy Award Nomination
Best Pop Vocal Performance (Single) Grammy Nomination
Best R & B Vocal Performance (Album) Grammy Nomination

Lyrics

14 thoughts on “Tune Tuesday: Let’s Hear It For The Boy 1984

Angel at Watchyourlifeinpictures said:
    June 4, 2019 at 11:50 PM

Ok, if ever a song didn’t need a remake!

June 5, 2019 at 12:04 AM

You know, I haven’t heard the Kramer version, yet.

June 5, 2019 at 12:28 AM

I listened to it. It’s not bad. It’s country-rock and Jana Kramer has a decent voice.

the britchy one said:
    June 5, 2019 at 7:26 AM

I love that song!

June 5, 2019 at 1:32 PM

You can’t help but smile and dance.

hanspostcard said:
    June 5, 2019 at 8:16 AM

I knew it was from a soundtrack but forgot which one- a good pop song- much better than the other hit on that soundtrack by Kenny Mr. Soundtrack of 80’s movies Loggins.

June 5, 2019 at 1:49 PM

Hey, now. Don’t be knockin’ on my Kenny. 😆 He has a great voice, he’s a great musician & a great songwriter.

I didn’t put this in the post but, one of the things that showed up in my reading was that Loggins made a specific career change to soundtracks to get the hell away from Disco. He & Messina parted ways in the middle to late 70s. His first soundtrack work was A Star Is Born, 1976…when Disco was exploding. He was trying to survive. Even rock suffered during that time period.

hanspostcard said:
        June 5, 2019 at 2:08 PM

I did like the song he did for Caddyshack.

June 5, 2019 at 2:32 PM

That was good, too. He has a very versatile voice and a hell of a range. He could do the stuttering thing like Steven Tyler or Axl Rose.

June 5, 2019 at 1:20 PM

I have a confession to make…I’ve never seen Footloose. I know it was big in our generation but never saw it…also I think Kevin Bacon has been in every movie ever made.
    The song is incredibly catchy…not my style but it is a good pop song.

June 5, 2019 at 2:27 PM

🤣 You dingy!

It was big. It made 80 million 1984 dollars on a 3.8 million budget and spawned a bunch of songs. It was cutting edge dance for its time. It’s goofy looking, now but it was well acted.

It’s like Grease or Dirty Dancing. Energetic love story & lots if fun.

That’s why you have the six degrees from Kevin Bacon stuff. LOL!

It’s not my fave of the soundtrack. I preferred “I’m Free” and “Metal Health” (extended soundtrack release).

June 5, 2019 at 2:47 PM

I know I know LOL…
        I remember everyone at school was talking about it. I didn’t see a lot of movies during that time. I didn’t see ET until 2007 or sometime around then.

Yea Grease and Dirty Dancing are good comparisons I would guess.

I forgot all about the Kevin Bacon thing.!

I liked the Breakfast Club back then…that I saw!

June 6, 2019 at 1:04 AM

Hey. You’ll get around to it. LOL!

June 6, 2019 at 1:04 AM