Snapshots Sunday: Alamance Battleground

Battle of Alamance Marker Image One
12-07-2019

Back in May, I did a post on the Battle of Alamance so, I won’t revisit the historical details. Yesterday, I visited the actual battleground with my buddy, Ray. They were having German Heritage Day with authentic German food for visitors. I was so glad we had a beautiful day. It was chilly but, there was a really good turnout. I hadn’t been to this site in nearly 45 years.

All photos are my personal collection. © ~Vic

State Archives Monument Image Two
Battle map behind the Visitor Center Museum, facing the battleground.
Map Image Three
3-D Map of NC Militia troops and the Regulators.
Creek & Rock Image Five
The rock in the 3-D battle map and
the small creek/tributary of Beaver Creek/Big Alamance Creek/Lake Mackintosh.
Field Cannon Image Four

More to come…

17 thoughts on “Snapshots Sunday: Alamance Battleground

David Redpath said:
    December 9, 2019 at 1:53 AM

Those bloody Redcoats! 🤠

December 9, 2019 at 2:46 AM

Gov. Tryon was representing the Crown, yes but, it was the N.C. Militia that showed up to fight the Regulators. They eventually switched sides.

Liked by 2 people

David Redpath said:
        December 9, 2019 at 4:22 AM

Thank Uncle Sam goodness!

December 9, 2019 at 2:34 PM

It can be confusing as the monument says British. Back then, we were all “British subjects” but, the militia were local folks, not actual British troops. They had some British officers as advisors and many of those officers were like bodyguards to the Governor.

Some of the local militia members remained loyalists but, the majority were tired of brutal British rule. This battle ended the War of Regulation but…it was a pivot towards the Revolutionary War. Seeds of descent were planted in my home county.

December 9, 2019 at 3:01 AM

Never heard of this battle before. It’s amazing how little we know.

December 9, 2019 at 10:23 AM

Nicely done! Thank you

bayphotosbydonna said:
    December 9, 2019 at 10:55 AM

We’ve visited a couple battlegrounds nearby us here in SC, Musgrove Mill and Ninety-Six. Today it’s peaceful to walk battlegrounds but surreal in imagining the battles that occurred under the conditions they endured so many years back.

December 9, 2019 at 2:58 PM

I just read up on those two. I’m not familiar with SC battlefields so much…except, of course, Fort Sumter (eh…wrong war).

I have been to Appomattox and have many pix of that visit, speaking of the different war. I need to post those…

History fascinates me…if I can get at the truth.

backuphill said:
    December 9, 2019 at 10:58 AM

Thanks for the historical visit. I appreciate seeing the sites of the East coast since I haven’t visited that side of the country much.

December 9, 2019 at 3:06 PM

Welcome. I have more to post.

I wish I had the time & the money to visit all the sites in the US.

December 10, 2019 at 12:14 AM

I’m glad they have this marker to remember it by. When I first looked at I thought it was the Revolutionary War.

December 10, 2019 at 1:14 AM

Growing up, we were led to believe the battle was part of the war, not the pivot towards war. Proverbial “straw”, esp. after some of the Regulators were hanged in June.

December 10, 2019 at 9:22 AM

Well you taught me something…I would have had no clue. That is why I looked back on the link…the dates didn’t line up.