Story Sunday: Circus Train Cars For Auction In North Carolina

Barnum & Bailey Circus Rail Car Image One
Image Credit: NC State Surplus Property

If you haven’t finished your holiday shopping, the North Carolina Department of Transportation is offering up a piece of Americana but, it’s going to cost you a pretty penny.

When the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus closed their doors, NCDOT saw an opportunity to add to its fleet. That plan was derailed before the cars could hit the rails and, now, they’re being put up for public auction.

NCDOT spent just over $380,000 on [the] Ringling Brothers rail cars.

“These cars have a great and amazing history,” said Jason Orthner, director of the NCDOT rail division.

However, plans to refurbish the cars were quickly put on hold when NCDOT calculated the costs. “This was more on the long-term play of really looking into our rail program and how we take it into the future,” said Orthner.

Ringling Brothers & Barnum and Bailey Poster Wiki Image Two
Image Credit: New York Public Library
Wikimedia & Wikipedia

Funding from two federal grants totaling $157 million rendered the rehab of the Ringling Bros. cars obsolete and will soon allow the NCDOT to replace their entire fleet.

“If we hadn’t been successful at winning those grants, we would’ve taken a really hard look at putting these in service,” said Orthner. “We really want to do the best thing for the citizens of North Carolina with the limited funding that we have available.”

That’s why they’re listing the rail-cars on the state surplus site for a minimum price that’s $32,000 more than the NCDOT paid for all of the cars but, without any bids, it’s unclear if anyone will actually buy them.

“Tourist railroad operations, car collectors and other enthusiasts would certainly be interested in these cars,” said Orthner. “There are operations around the country that run train service for excursion purpose, or other purposes, that would be interested in equipment like this.”

Currently half of the rail-cars are stored in the NCDOT rail-yard in Raleigh and the other half are stored on an abandoned line in Nash County.

Want To Own A Piece Of History?
Holden Kurwicki
WNCN/CBS17
12-21-2020

I had no idea my state’s DOT had purchased Ringling Bros. train cars. ~Vic

10 thoughts on “Story Sunday: Circus Train Cars For Auction In North Carolina

December 28, 2020 at 12:29 PM

WOW! I hope it winds up in the train museum it is a huge part of history.

badfinger20 (Max) said:
    December 31, 2020 at 12:07 AM

I would love to have one…set it up on a short track just to have it. Good thing I’m not a millionaire… I wouldn’t be one long. I would have Keith Moon’s shirt, a Hendrix guitar, these trains cars, and Lennon’s DNA lol…

December 31, 2020 at 3:29 AM

Done right, they could be a nice place to live. They are frequently changed into restaurants…though, Covid has ruined that.

I’ve said myself that it wouldn’t do for me to have a lot of money. My ass would be like Jay Leno…a warehouse of cars.

badfinger20 (Max) said:
        December 31, 2020 at 9:36 AM

I would have oddball stuff but yea…I would also. I love cars…certain cars.
        I would love to convert one into living quarters also.

December 31, 2020 at 2:52 PM

I think a rail car house would be cool! Most are already designed with plumbing and sleeping quarters…unless it’s just a passenger train like a bus. That would take more work.

badfinger20 (Max) said:
            December 31, 2020 at 4:54 PM

Merle Haggard grew up in a small one…they took the box part and made the house…now this one I would want the whole thing