Tune Tuesday: I Will Always Give Thanks 1665

John Blow Image One
Artist: Robert White (Engraver)
18th Century
Collection: National Library of France
Source: Gallica Digital Library
Photo Credit: Wikipedia & Wikimedia

Three hundred, fifty-five years ago, John Blow, an English Baroque organist, composed the “club anthemI Will Always Give Thanks, collaborating with Pelham Humfrey and William Turner. There is not a lot written about this song but, there are two suggestions of it either being an honoring of the victory over the Dutch in 1665 or a simple commemoration of the three men working together.

In late 1668, Blow was appointed to Westminster Abbey as its organist and three of his students were William Croft, Jeremiah Clarke and Henry Purcell. In 1685, he became the private musician to King James II. He was the choir-master at St. Paul’s Cathedral in 1687 and became Composer to the Chapel Royal in 1699.

As a side note, 1665 was a bad year. Sounds familiar. ~Vic

Additional Reading & Sources:
Choral Evensong/John Blow Death Anniversary (BBC October 1, 2008)
John Blow Biography (encyclopedia.com)
Tales for Our Time (Mark Steyn Online)
John Blow Anthems (The Gramophone Newsletter Site)
John Blow Commemoration (Westminster Abbey Site)
A Journal of the Plague Year (Wikipedia)
Battle of Lowestoft (Wikipedia)
Great Plague of London (Wikipedia)

28 thoughts on “Tune Tuesday: I Will Always Give Thanks 1665

August 26, 2020 at 9:11 AM

Oh yes we can relate to a bad year lol…
    Good piece…it amazes me how they wrote things like this.

August 26, 2020 at 3:01 PM

We don’t get 1/10 of the education these folks enjoyed. No mass media to hypnotize.

Plus, they had a REAL plague…not an overhyped flu bug with less killing power than the flu bug of 2019. The black plague was off-the-scale nasty and brutal. We are witnessing the effects of a dumbed-down population.

Liked by 2 people

August 26, 2020 at 5:27 PM

Yea the black plague wasn’t a joke…

August 26, 2020 at 10:13 PM

That thing ran, on and off, from 1346 to 1925 and it had three different versions.

COVID is NOTHING.

August 26, 2020 at 11:03 PM

I get it…but I still don’t want it lol

August 26, 2020 at 11:08 PM

Honestly, I have to say, I don’t care about it. My ass just survived septicemia back in December.

August 26, 2020 at 11:13 PM

Hey I survived a bad scare…you know what bothers me the most? The fever…no…the sick…no…it’s the damn no breathing shit. If I hear someone pant I have to catch my breath. That is why I don’t want it. It’s like you wearing a mask…which doesn’t bother me for some reason

August 27, 2020 at 1:32 AM

Hell. You’ve dealt with a kidney stone(s). I understand that pain is mind-blowing.

Odds are, you’d be fine. You, Jen (unless she is much, much younger than you are), me, my buddy Hank in Texas (who had it, passed it to his wife and, his son had it)…we are all in our early to middle 50s. Hank’s description of it was a flu bug…and he got his from the engineers coming in from across the globe back in February. He is an Executive engineer with Honeywell. He is a world traveler. He told me over the phone “Yep. It’s a flu bug. I had a fever of 102, I felt like shit, the fever was gone in two days and I coughed goo out of my lungs for about a month. Same with Karen. Spencer got it and he was over it in two weeks.” Spencer doesn’t live with them so, he got it from someone else…most likely someone from overseas that was attending Texas A & M or associated with the college.

Yeah. LOL! I have a bigger problem with the masks than I do with the actual bug.

I’m watching a video, now, that is covering that PCR test. The creator of the test stated that it is not designed to test for viruses. What they have found is, the PCR test is identifying a gene sequence that EVERY human has associated with chromosome 8. The more tests, the more positives for the gene sequence…not a virus.

Did you hear/read about the Sturgis Rally in SD? Hundreds of thousands and 90 people tested positive. Tested positive for what? Where are all the dead bodies scattered all over Sturgis? Where are the over-run hospitals? Ever gotten a good look at some bikers? A large majority of them are older folks and veterans.

HCQ, zinc and azithromycin pretty much takes care of it but, yet, HCQ has now been withheld? That is on purpose to make people sick and scare the others. But, then again, flu bugs kill thousands every year…those with co-morbidities.

August 27, 2020 at 9:19 AM

I never had a flu where something was impeding my breathing. The flu has never done that to me…mostly body aches and misery.
                    But…I don’t want that either! lol. But really I do everything I did before now. I wear a mask to the grocery store but that is about it.
                    The guys are coming over to play really soon and I’ve been going fishing. I go to work…I am alone in my office but hell that has been a dream of mine anyway…cause I don’t love people.
                    A low percentage dies…probably 1 percent…I get that…I just hate being sick if I don’t have to be. It’s not like we are locked up inside our house…except Jen and she always is…
                    Bailey started college yesterday there…he has a couple of classes online and one there.

August 27, 2020 at 3:28 PM

The reports of people with breathing distress already had lung and/or heart issues. There was a little boy with Cystic Fibrosis that survived it. In general terms, this is a mild flu bug. The numbers don’t even match last year’s flu season.

I don’t like the flu, either. I got a big nasty one in January of 2019. My skull ached and I am not prone to headaches. My eyes burned. I hacked for six weeks. And, I didn’t visit a doctor or take any meds. I let that fever run, like it was supposed to and SLEPT…a LOT. I poured fluids in me and lived off of bone broth, garlic, onions, chicken & spinach. I get that you are concerned but, do you recall in previous years fearing a flu bug until the news told you to fear it? Did you lose any sleep over any of these (the recent ones…notice that the 1976 Swine Flu hysteria is missing):

I’m done. I’m just trying to ease your mind. If you have a good diet, exercise and rest, your immune system will take care of it.

Where do you fish?

😆 You don’t love people? 😆 They get on your fucking nerves, don’t they? 😆

Jen is always locked up in the house? 🤔

What does Bailey think about all of this?

August 27, 2020 at 4:22 PM

Yea we keep her locked in! lol…no she has always worked from home so she doesn’t get out like Bailey and I.
                      He hates it of course…but he does get out with friends…like I said…there is not much we don’t do that we did before. The biggest change is when I’m in a store…and wearing a mask doesn’t bother me…I can mouth all kinds of things at people that piss me off.
                      No it’s Jennifer because she has that bronchitus thing every year. We try to keep it from her…and Mark still comes down every weekend.
                      Uh no…people are NOT my thing lol.

August 27, 2020 at 4:39 PM

Ok. Much concern for Jen. Yeah. She might struggle with it. What does she do?

That works! 😆 I’ve noticed that everyone sounds like Kenny from South Park these days. 😷

Yeah. You and I were separated at birth. 😁

You got a pond close by? What do you fish for?

August 27, 2020 at 5:36 PM

Right now she is back to medical transcription. She at one time I made 50 grand a year doing that now hardly anything.
                      Voice recognition took it up so she worked some being a Customer service person which sucks.

August 27, 2020 at 6:12 PM

So, medical transcription…not many do it anymore?

August 27, 2020 at 6:18 PM

No…voice recognition changed the game…and right after they changed…a doctor took out the wrong kidney…the computer thought left was right.
                      She is working at it now but it’s not much anymore. She was one of the top ones…she got paid 10 cents a line…now it’s 4 cents a line…she types like 95 words a minute…so yea that hurt.

August 27, 2020 at 6:20 PM

GEEZUS. That just reinforces my lack of faith in modern medicine and the medical field, in general. Damn.

August 27, 2020 at 5:37 PM

Yes we were! I have a friend that’s seeing a girl that owns a farm that owns two ponds but it’s nothing to small fish. I like catfish and bass but bass is too much work lol

August 27, 2020 at 6:14 PM

Haven’t been fishing since I was a kid.

August 27, 2020 at 6:18 PM

It’s a lot of fun and relaxing

August 27, 2020 at 6:31 PM

Jealous…

August 27, 2020 at 7:39 PM

Well you are more than welcomed to drive on down! We don’t catch big fish dammit but we have fun

August 28, 2020 at 12:07 AM

GAH. I wish…

August 28, 2020 at 12:11 AM

well it doesn’t look good this weekend. …looks like rain is coming all weekend.
                      I love fishing but I’m not a hunter. I shot one squirrel when I was a teenager and felt bad for days…I’m not a hunter.

August 28, 2020 at 12:40 AM

I haven’t looked at radar, recently. Is Laura coming your way? I know it’s supposed to curve to the East.

I remember popping my next door neighbor’s dog with my BB gun from my bedroom window. That dog was mean as hell but, I immediately felt bad when it yelped. I’ve never killed an animal with a weapon of any kind but, I do remember, when I was really little, finding a baby bird and putting it in the bathroom trashcan. I tried to feed it peas but, it didn’t respond. I remember being upset that it didn’t respond and I shook the trashcan. To this day, I don’t know if I killed it or if it was already dead. It did upset me, either way.

I’ve watched hunting shows and I know some hunters (my first hubby was a hunter). But, I couldn’t do it. I’ve always said that, if I had to meet, and talk to, the cow I was supposed to eat, I’d be close to vegetarianism. That being said, I love seafood. Period.

August 28, 2020 at 1:11 AM

Yea I have nothing against hunters…I get it I really do…BUT I could not kill for sport and I don’t believe in that. If you are not going to eat it don’t kill it.
                      Funny I don’t feel guilty for a fish? I do throw them back unless we start catching a lot and then I’ll keep them and clean them.

That was the only animal I ever killed and I felt so bad.

Maybe the bird was already gone. You tried to help it anyway.

August 28, 2020 at 2:34 PM

Yeah. Killing for sport pisses me off. That’s just cruel.

I do shake my head at the vegan movement. They not only refuse to eat meat, they won’t eat things like butter, eggs or drink milk. Then, they “try” to consume fake meat, which is LOADED with soy. Unfermented soy is very bad. Asians will tell you that. And, most have to take B12 shots. The human body needs protein & amino acids and too much unprepared plant proteins are troublesome.

Killing to eat is the way of nature. If a bear or big cat is hungry and they find you, they will eat you and feel no remorse.

Big fish eat smaller fish and so on… I might could do without beef and just pet the cow (and have milk, butter & ice cream) but, seafood? No.

Ken, at one time, would shoot pellets at squirrels to get them off the bird feeders. It killed some. I told him to stop. He’s not a hunter. He likes venison but, would never shoot a deer. He’d rather pet them in the yard if he could. So, he took down the bird feeders. He didn’t like the idea of spending so much money to feed squirrels and have them tear up the feeders.

I was around five years old. I’d never seen a baby bird before and my little mind thought it would be a pet like my grandmothers’ dogs. I didn’t fully grasp my situation. I guess I shook the trashcan to get it to “wake up.” It’s not a pleasant memory.

August 28, 2020 at 2:43 PM

Yea I could not be a vegan….some though are liberal vegans that will eat fish. The poor fish get it from both sides lol.

That is me…I love seafood. I could live in Florida and be happy with the menu.
                      That was good about the feeders…but…they are a nuisance…cute and all but will chew wires and everything possible…I still can’t shoot one.

Yea I can eat deer and I’ve ate Bear…but I would never shoot one…unless the bear is chasing me lol.

Poor little Vic…yea that doesn’t sound good.

August 28, 2020 at 7:01 PM

I could be a pescatarian, easily.

Squirrels are cute…and destructive…and tasty. My maternal GF would kill ’em and my GM dressed ’em. Taste like chicken! LOL!

I’ve never had bear.

I’ve never tried to harm another animal.