Shutterbug Saturday: Old Fort Sumner Museum

I lived in Texas for nearly a decade. My ex-Marine and I did some traveling through the west when we had opportunities. I’ve been digging around in some old stuff and found some photos from a visit to the Old Fort Sumner Museum in New Mexico in December of 2008. We were on our way to Liar’s Lodge. The museum closed in 2017. ~Vic

Old Fort Sumner Museum Image One
A terrible shot of the front of the museum.
It was so overcast.
It never occurred to me to take pictures inside.
Historic Marker Image Two
Official Marker
Lucien Maxwell
Fort Sumner
Bosque Redondo
Elusive Tombstone Image Three
They kept stealing it.
Joe Bowlin
Notice the reference to Texas International Airlines
Jarvis P. Garrett is Pat’s son.
UPI Article on the 1981 Recovery
he died as he lived.”

Late Add:

Fort Sumner Cemetery Panorama Image Six
Fort Sumner Cemetery
Photo Credit: Erans World
02-11-2014
Click to view full picture.

Additional Reading:
BTKOG (Billy the Kid Outlaw Gang Site)
Whiskey and the Devil: Taiban, New Mexico (City of Dust Blogspot January 10, 2012)
Billy the Kid’s Two Graves (Roadside America August 15, 2020)
Caught With His Pants Down: Billy the Kid vs Pat Garrett (True West Magazine August 1, 2010)
Brushy Bill Roberts (Wikipedia)

12 thoughts on “Shutterbug Saturday: Old Fort Sumner Museum

ghostmmnc said:
    August 15, 2020 at 6:03 PM

Very interesting. I remember going there when I was a kid of 10, I think. I do remember seeing the grave, but not of going through the museum, though we might have. 🙂

August 15, 2020 at 6:34 PM

I just barely remember the inside of it, myself. I do remember buying a t-shirt and leather hair bands made by Native Americans.

August 15, 2020 at 7:31 PM

Neat. I am always interested in History and this is amazing history.

MichaelStephenWills said:
    August 16, 2020 at 7:03 AM

Fort Sumner transformed into a town of the same name. Still lots to see there for history, buffs, though it is out of the way. Appreciated your photographs.

August 16, 2020 at 6:24 PM

We never made it to the actual town. I don’t remember why. Hard to believe it was nearly 12 years ago.

Welcome dear! Thanks for the visit.

badfinger20 (Max) said:
    August 17, 2020 at 11:00 PM

Billy the Kid.. I love the movie Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid. Very cool to see the real stone….what’s left of it. I had to laugh..it was stolen…recovered…it was stolen again! and recovered lol.

August 17, 2020 at 11:18 PM

I’ve had these photos for so many years that, I had forgotten about all of that. The t-shirt I got is long gone but, the leather hair bands, I still have.

You know, they still don’t know, exactly, how the shooting went down…or, who killed Pat Garrett. Everyone has an opinion or two but, they are still arguing about both events.

badfinger20 (Max) said:
        August 17, 2020 at 11:33 PM

It looks like a cool place to go. Wasn’t there a person claiming to be Billy the Kid in the 40s or 50s still alive?