Hans 2021 Song Draft: Round Nine-Pick Eight-In Sleep-Lissie (2010)

Lissie Fan Art TV Image One
Image Credit: fanart.tv

Hanspostcard has a song draft challenge. This is my Round Nine pick.

This, and my last pick, will feature two women that are a little less known in the music world. I skipped right over the 2000s (only so many choices) and hopped into the next decade. I happened to catch this song while listening to the University of Texas @ Austin’s radio station (a station involved with SXSW). I was hooked and I went looking for it…and her. Elisabeth Corrin Maurus or Lissie is a singer-songwriter out of Rock Island, Illinois.

“I always sang, since I was little and wrote poems in high school. I sort of taught myself to play guitar lines to the poems and stuff. In high school, it seems like everyone has more drama than any other time in their life, [so] that was the time in my life where I really leaned on music as a way to stay sane…”

Interview With Lissie
Scott the Intern
Pop Culture Madness [Web Archive]
February 11, 2008

In her senior year, she was kicked out of high school (she spit in a teacher’s face) and had to get a GED, elsewhere. Then, she hit the road, troubadour-style. She attended Colorado State in Fort Collins and liked to open for other traveling acts. After a short time in Paris, she moved to Los Angeles, met Betsy Hammer and scored an introduction to Brooks Arthur. Hammer & Arthur took her to talent manager Guy Oseary and he got her to producer Glen Ballard. She can be heard singing in the movie Have Dreams, Will Travel (Dream It Out Loud) and performed at the wedding of Demi Moore & Ashton Kutcher in 2005 (Oseary’s referral). In January 2008, she opened for Lenny Kravitz (via a hook-up on MySpace).

Lissie Zimbio Image Two
Photo Credit: Zimbio

The third track from the album Catching A Tiger, In Sleep was released in April of 2010 and the only chart it showed up on was the UK iTunes Single of the Week. The album did manage to make it to #5 on the Billboard Folk Albums & Top Heatseekers charts and, #34 on the Independent Albums chart. The album’s first release was in the UK and hit the US two months later.

“Not to be mistaken for Lissy Trullie, […] Lissie Maurus deals in sun-kissed pop-blues straight from Laurel Canyon.

Her 12-track debut conjures images of highways and horses, with Lissie’s smoky tones echoing Fleetwood Mac’s Stevie Nicks.”

CDs of the Week: Eminem and Lissie
Rick Pearson
London Evening Standard
[Web Archive]
June 18, 2010

Give her a listen. I think she is fantastic and her two band members are outstanding, as well. They are all over YouTube and, in live recordings, her bassist is sitting down, keeping the drum/cymbal beat. Talk about multitasking. I’ve included the studio version of this that has more drum work on it and a possible synthesizer. I’m also including her version of Go Your Own Way. which actually charted in the UK in 2012. The studio version sounds like it has a cello in it and is part of the soundtrack from the movie Safe Haven. She has been very busy.

Happy Halloween, Y’all! ~Vic

Additional:
Interview: Lissie (Stereofox/06-12-2013)
Lissie (CTN Music Interview/12-22-2008/Web Archive)
Lissie and Her Connections (The Uncarved Blog/Ken Chawkin/05-11-2019)
Lissie Catching A Tiger Review (BBC Review/Mike Diver/2010)
Local Q&A: Lissie (Chicago Tribune Metromix/Matt Pais/11-09-2009/Web Archive)
Rock Island Native Lissie Hits Billboard’s Charts (Quad-City Times/David Burke/05-09-2008/Web Archive)

Official Website

Live Recording On ARD

Studio Version

From Discovery of Witches

13 thoughts on “Hans 2021 Song Draft: Round Nine-Pick Eight-In Sleep-Lissie (2010)

JT Twissel said:
    November 2, 2021 at 3:09 PM

She’s good!

Paul said:
    November 2, 2021 at 8:15 PM

Really like this pick Vic. I said more at Hans site. Not sure why but just realized I wasn’t following you site. Fixed that now

christiansmusicmusings said:
    November 2, 2021 at 9:15 PM

Nice tune, I had never heard of Lissie – like both the music and her vocals!

November 2, 2021 at 10:52 PM

She is obscure but, she has no shortage of work. I’m glad I got to hear her on college radio or I would know nothing of her.
      Glad you like it. 😁

[…] know if he ever got the chance to chat with her. Give her a listen. She is a different genre from Lissie but, just as […]

badfinger20 (Max) said:
    November 18, 2021 at 8:49 AM

She sounds good in the song In Sleep… I don’t like many modern female singers because they are computer pop…but this is real.

November 18, 2021 at 7:33 PM

She and her band are the definition of stripped down. She didn’t do polished pieces until she got involved in TV & Movies.

badfinger20 (Max) said:
        November 18, 2021 at 7:36 PM

That is why I like her…and why I don’t like 80 percent of female artists…not because they are female…but they turn to the computer.

November 18, 2021 at 7:46 PM

I hear ya’.

And, most female artists are beholden to the “machine.” Working outside the music industry suits can be difficult. Luckily, like in Emily’s case, there is iTunes, Spotify, Bandcamp, Reverbnation, Soundcloud and touring. Sadly, she will suffer the same as a local Raleigh band that just could NOT break out of the region. I loved and, miss terribly, Far Too Jones. I nearly did a song draft on them this go ’round and may showcase them next go ’round.

badfinger20 (Max) said:
            November 18, 2021 at 7:50 PM

Yep…she is going to suffer the same fate as my beloved power pop bands…and it pisses me off.

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: